1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New S-10 or 1500 WT???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Joseph Meidling, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Joseph Meidling

Joseph Meidling Junior Member

I have narrowed my search for a new 4wd truck down to either an S-10 or 1500 series WT (work truck). This will be my main transport to and from work (30 mi each way). I will only be doing light work/hauling - basicaly work around the house type projects/construction. I like the idea of a full size truck, but wonder if I could get more options/nicer truck for the same $$$ if I went with the S-10. If anyone has any opinions/experience please let me know.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

New or Used?

3. Joseph Meidling

Sorry, New- also if anyone knows any pricing, or where I could find pricing (either dealer invoice, sticker or what some of you have recently paid) that too would help.

Thanks.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Try http://www.kbb.com that should help a lot. I didn't know that they kept the WT line in the new silverado's? You may still be able to get a leftover classic 2500 for cheap. It will be the best year for a truck as its the latest most improved version. My dealer had a 6.5 TD 2500 cheapo (rubber mats, etc) for what I think was around $20,000! If I wasn't so excited for the new Duramax, that one would have been mine. For the little extra that it costs (check exact figures on both on Kelly Blue Book) get a 3/4T (2500) Especially if you are definately putting a plow on it.

If your going NEW NEW, Try a K2500 (non HD) with a 5.3L or 6.0L. They are nice trucks and the 5.3 is plenty powerful for snowplowing.

5. steveair

steveair Senior Member

hello,

I would stay away from a s10 for a real work truck. They are nice commuters, but as soon as you start loading them up with any kind of weight, you are going to regret it.

Had one for a year, used it sparingly for hauling lighter materials, and the rear end was sagging pretty low already.

Plus, if you plan on hauling lumber, you'll be driving around with it hanging off the truck all the time.

At least, go with a 1500wt, but a 3/4 would be the best bet. The 8 ft bed is MUCH more suitable for carrying anykind of materials, especially if you get a tool box. Put a tool box in a s10, and you're down to a 4 ft bed. With the prices of the s10's being so close to the full size, I would say don't mess around and just get the full size.

steveair

6. Joseph Meidling

I spoke to 1 dealer and he told me they do still sell the WT series and it is "about the same price" as an s-10. Thanks for the input. One other question, is the 1500 WT series 1/2 or 3/4 ton? I still have a lot to learn about trucks.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Your comparing apples to oranges here. You can load up (options) an S-10 into the high 20's and strip down a fullsize to the low 20's. Check out Kelly Blue book and do some homework and see whats available before you walk into a dealership with SUCKER written on your forehead. Right now, it is in NEON lights. Just lurk around and find out as much info as possible. If your going to plow, get a 3/4T.

As for W/T's, ive only seen 1/2T 2WD's but they may have others available. I do know that they are STRIPPED ie: no radio, no A/C etc.

8. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

First of all, 1500 is a half ton. 2500 is 3/4 and 3500 is a 1 ton. I've seen work trucks in 1/2 and 3/4 ton, in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. One of my buddies has a early 90's 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 4.3 V6 and an automatic. It actually doesn't get any better mileage than another friend with the 5.7 V8 from about the same time. But, another friend has the same 1/2 ton work truck, but it's a 97, which came with multi point fuel injection and it gets much better mileage. As for your case, I'd do full size. Of course this is dependant on what you will use it for, but as far as ease of maintinance, room inside, and ability to haul, you'll be a lot happier with the full size. Also, if you are going to get a new truck, I would go ahead and get the 2000 or 2001 Silverado with the new body style, engines, ect. My dad just picked one up with the 5.3 V8 in it and it is healthy to say the least. You could probably pick up a 1/2 ton, regular cab, long box (8ft bed) with that engine, in a four wheel drive for low 20's if you didn't load it up. That'd be the best bet I think. Those trucks are solid, drive really nice, and have lots of tried and true components on them. Good luck, and let us know what you go with.

9. Smither

Smither Member

Don't know about your plans on hauling people with you too. Two people in an S-10 maxes it out, especially in the winter with coats on. You can fit three people in, but you better be small. I had an '87 Ranger with a five speed, and we had to put my sons car seat by the passenger door 'cause it wouldn't fit in the middle with the shifter. Just somethin' to think about.

10. Joseph Meidling

Thanks for the info. I think I will try (financially), for the fullsize, since I definitely am not small (230+). Does anyone have any idea how much room there is to negotiate with the dealer on these?

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If your 230-the S10 is going to be a hair tight,especially with big boots on.I have size 12 feet and i have to wear thin boots in the S10 or my feet will hit the gas and brake together since the tunnel is narrow there.The full size truckhas much more footroom for big work boots.First,are you getting the new style99 and newer full size or the classic C/K truck?The W/T ,i think is only in the classic.The classic is a good,proven truck,and you'll more than likely have to settle for what is in stock,but you should get a deal.The 5.3 and 6.0 are in the new style only.The 5.3 is not available in 2500 4x4's.The 6.0 is the base engine.The classic style trucks will have a 4.3 200hp as the base engine,and optional 5 and 5.7 liter V-8's.I would get the auto,its one of the best out there.I have seen W/T 2500's,but i dont think they have made them in afew years,they were the 7200 light duty 3/4 ton,and looked excatly like the 1500 W/T.

12. jeffex

jeffex Junior Member

I have been a dodge man my whole life but I'm
    considering converting to the silverado
    i'm looking at a 2001 v8 silverado am/fm auto
    air plane jane model that lists for 23011 on the
    road for 21000 go to http://www.winkelly.com they
    give internet pricing I heard about a brake
    recall on 2000 and 2001 silverado i'm asking
    about before i buy though

13. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover Junior Member

Go with the Full Size

Here are my 2 cents:

I originally owned a 1982 full size Chevy 4WD and traded it in for a new 1988 S-10 4WD. After a great 10 years with my S-10 I rushed down to the local Chevy dealer and bought a new 1998 FULL SIZE pick up. The S-10 was OK but very limiting. If you plan on ever using your truck as a truck; go with the full size.