1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New RZR with Blizzard 680LT

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by CLRSNOW, Feb 10, 2009.

1. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

Check out my new RZR with a Blizzard 680LT plow with custom built mounts and charging system and a few other goodies.This is a prototype for a kit that is for sale either
    complete pete on the 4wheeler or as a do it your self kit.

pic 054.jpg

pic 055.jpg

pic 057.jpg

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

that plow system is nice. how much does it weigh?

3. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

It weighs approx 300 pounds for the plow and mounts.I have done some fabrication on the plow to allow for an extreme angle compared to factory.Also have modified the front suspension on the RZR with custom parts. The charging system also is a counter weight on the back

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

is it a hydraulic angle on it? is that the purpose for the engine in the bed?

5. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

Yes, and yes. This is a Blizzard 680LT plow with full hydraulics and power hitch. Joy stick control on pedistal in cab.Cab also has a heater with defrost and foot vents.Drivers seat has a seat heat unit.The engine runs the charging system with a truck battery and alternator.I have had one of my drivers running this all season with no problems. It has approx 150 hours plowing on it.

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I would think a ranger would be a better one to plow with. what made you choose the razr?

7. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

The Ranger is 60" wide and the RZR is only 50" wide so with the extreme angle on the blade it is easier to manuver the RZR. Also a lot shorter turning radius on the RZR 101" vs. 166" on the ranger and an 800cc engine instead of the 700 in the Ranger.We were able to replace 2 regular 4 wheelers with winchs lifting Blackline blades with this one machine. The cab and heater along with the seat heat makes travel time fast and comfortable for the driver, no more spending time to warm up from being an icecycle. Plus in the summer take the blade off and you have a trail riding machine machine. And the RZR will go 5mph faster than the Ranger.

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Now thats cool.

9. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

That looks good!! The wiper looks like it would bug the crap out of me being in the middle of your view all the time!

10. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

Thanks and the wiper is in the middle but it seems like you look past it when you are driving.

11. kagey

kagey Junior Member
    from Chicago

Very nice. Did you mount some clips on the back for the shovel? That's some horsepower for sure and probably necessary for everything that is running, heaters galore, plow, winch.
    All that heat inside I'd have to wear shorts and a t-shirt. I'd be way sweating...lol. Very nice setup.

12. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

Thanks! I mountede some spring clips for the shovel it goes on and off quick. Also on the back is the gas can for the Stihl BR600 that fits in the passenger side of the cab.

13. shtuk

shtuk Member

What the specs on your hydraulic system. I've been wanting to make my angle and lift controls hydraulic on my AC 500trv. Also maybe to power a hydraulic blower.

14. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

It's a stock Blizzard Blade 680LT for a truck.Look at the Blizzard site for hydraulic specs. THe engine on back runs the Alternator which keeps the 750 Cold Crank battery charged. All the additional electrical items run off this aux charging system.

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You da man.

I've been looking into one for sidewalks.

Can I assume that with the Honda pony you had charging issues? What type of plowing are doing with the RZR? Lots of up and down\angling?

Will the kit include everything you have done to modify it? Or is it mix and match?

Will I have to drive to Montana to pick one up? Would it happen to be during elk season if I did?

J\K on the last one, I'd need a tag first. ;) :D

16. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

that is cool but the ranger would be much better suited for this it is the workhorse the rzr is like a sport quad of utv's with higher gearing and softer suspension and all. but that is the first truck plow i have seen on a utv nice work

17. Mark Oomkes

You ever looked at the Polaris book from a dealer?

They show the RZR with a couple different options for plows. So must be they're planning on people using them for work.

But it's good to hear from the youngsters in the crowd.

PS Must be you haven't looked too hard, I've had a Blizzard 720 on a Kubota RTV for over 3 years now.

18. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

I put on the aux charging system from the start because the plow draws 150 amps and the seat heat plus the cab heat add approx 10 more amps draw.The RZR comes with a 500 watt or approximately 41 amp charging system and with what I added and am currently working on adding the stock system would fail for sure. This setup is so efficient that it has replaced 2 regular atv plows with winch lifts and blackline blades,( I had also tried the blackline plow on the regular atv's with the hydraulic lift and they were very slow, the winch was faster.) so with this system we have been able to take on a few more small parking lots and use the RZR and also have switched the routes around and have freed up the trucks to go to larger lots. We mostly plow sidewalks and small lots along with a few residential with this machine. Have had no major problems this season so far.

The kit includes everything we have done to modify the RZR.
    Option #1 Is a kit that includes a Blizzard 680LT modified for extreme angle
    Bolt on bracket system
    Bolt on charging system including electric start in cab Honda engine and digital hour/rpm meter
    Bolt on Joy stick control pedistal mount with charging system controls
    Bolt on front suspension Modifications new springs and swaybar parts
    Bolt on Cab heat Defrost and footwell
    Bolt on Auto Meter Temp and Volt Guages with wiring and fittings, clamps
    Bolt on Shovel Rack
    Bolt on 2 gallon gas can rack with gas can
    Seat Heat for drivers seat
    Auxilary Fuse Panel
    All wiring plug and play complete with color photo instructions and detailed instructions

As with any kit you can add or delete options. These are the options we felt necessary and run on our RZR.
    Option # 2 is completely installed on your RZR from our Polaris dealer or yours. Total turn key RZR ready to get to work.
    The Elk hunting can be arranged for sure. I will have to check the tag filing date. Could have a completed RZR ready to take home with you.Or bring a trailer and we'll build a whole herd RZR's to take back home along with your trophy Bull Elk!!! of course.

19. Mark Oomkes

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated and I will have to see what I want to do. Only problem I have with your setup is I wanted to put a spreader or sprayer on the back for de-icing.

My RTV has a 35 Amp alternator and a modified 720 Blizzard and we have had issues with that alternator, so I can understand what and why you did it. Guess I'll have to take a closer look and see if any mods can be done with a different alternator.

How far do you travel roughly? I have a rather extended sidewalk route, and have been looking at something that doesn't need to be loaded and unloaded.

Very nice work, I am thoroughly impressed.

I'll get back to you on the elk hunting. ;) :D

20. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

I'll Bet it plows nice with the Blizzard on it .What model of Kubota do you have? What is the top speed on yours? I had looked at the Kabota before buying the RZR but the top speed was only 25 mph. Our route is runs approx 10 miles in length 1 end to the other.
    The RZR will speed up to 45 mph very quickly so we don't load or unload, just keep on plowing.Travel time is only 2-4 minutes between lots. If interested I could supply you with the alternator I used along with the brackets, pulley, belt and wiring schematics.