1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New rig added to the fleet.....

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JBMiller616, Jan 24, 2012.

1. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

We picked up a new rig this year to replace our aging money pit of a 2000 Chevy 2500. Naturally, since I run the snow removal crews for the Property Management Company I work for, the new rig goes to me and my not-so-old rig goes to the next man down the line.

My old rig:

2007 Ram 2500 SLT, Reg Cab, Long Bed, Gasser
    8'6" Fisher HD Series Straight Blade
    SnowEx 1875 Tailgate Spreader.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JBMiller616

New Rig:

2011 Ram 2500 SLT, Reg Cab, Long Bed, Gasser
    9'2" Steel BOSS Power-V XT
    Whelen Guardian Light Bar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My impressions of the new truck:

While both trucks are pretty much the same, I think Dodge/Ram really stepped their game up with the fourth generation Ram. The seats are more supportive and comfortable, which is important in my opinion when you sit in it for 10-12 hours at a time. The new one has built in Sirius and came with a free one year subscription, which is another bonus because I was going to buy a receiver this year and add it to the plan I already had. The 2011 has a multi-function display in the gauge cluster that will show you any info you want such as fuel economy, trans temp, coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, trailer brake controller, etc. The interior is layer out much better as well in my opinion. The 2007 was fine, but looked like the designed the whole interior of the truck and then they were like, "Oh ****, we forgot to design the dash." and just came up with something quick and threw it in there. It also seems that they have tweaked their cylinder deactivation software a bit too. The 2007 was a pig pulling away from stop signs/lights fully loaded with salt and with the plow and sander on. I think this was because the truck would start itself firing on four or six cylinders so you would really have to get into the go pedal to make her move, or I would have to keep it in Tow/Haul mode to turn off the cylinder deactivation all together. With the 2011 it seems to do the same thing unloaded, but when the truck is loaded it seems to sense the load its hauling when you press the gas and activates all cylinders without the need for tow/haul mode. It also has a +/- button for gear selection on the column shifter so you can downshift the truck to use the engine for braking when descending a hill without moving the shifter, which I thought was nice.

I know a lot of those things are mainly creature comforts and don't really matter in a work truck, but I'm a huge car guy and these are things I notice and are important because they make the truck more livable. As far as the plow goes, I don't have a bad thing to say about it. So far it has made everything much easier and more efficient and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice looking truck good luck with it

4. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

nice looking truck. the cylinder deactivation is only on the 1500 models and only goes into 4 cyl mode down the highway. the hemi motors where redesigned and added about 80 more horse

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Very nice truck, and you have snow to plow, Your having a good year!

6. habart30

habart30 Member

awesome trucks! Just curious on what made you go with the HEMI over the Cummins. I bought a HEMI in 2010. While it doesn't lack power, it really hogs the gasoline. Next time I'm in the market for a truck, I will definitely invest the few extra stacks in the Cummins.

7. JBMiller616

Not accurate. The 5.7 in our '07 2500 and in the '11 both have cylinder deactivation. It's the same 5.7 Hemi that is in the 1500's.

I would have loved a Cummins, and if this was my truck that I was buying with my money it would be a Cummins. I tried to make the argument to the owner of the company that it would last a hell of a lot longer, would have more power yadda, yadda. But his excuse for not wanting to add a diesel is that one of our idiot maintenance people (we're a property management company) would fill it up with regular gas within the first week of ownership, and probably on a regular basis after that. It's sad but it's true. It's his choice to keep people around like that though, not mine. He know that any company vehicle I drive I treat like my own, everyone else could give a ****.

8. Squires

Squires Senior Member

the MDS (Multi-Displacement System) is only on the half ton cutting back to 4 from 8 cylinders when able.
    the 1500 hemi has 390 horsepower and 407 lb.-ft. with VVT & MDS

the 2500 has 383 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque but has a 6 speed auto now, maybe thats the difference your feeling? It too has VVT but no mention of MDS.

9. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

No 3/4 ton or above Hemi Ram currently or ever came with MDS. It is strictly a 1/2 ton option only.

10. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

nice pics... cool rig

11. JBMiller616

I just looked it up and you are 100% right. The dealer lied to me then....twice. When we bought the 2007 and the 2011 both sales people told me the truck had MDS. God I hate Gengras Dodge.....

12. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Very nice truck, i can agree with everything you say about the 4th gen. the new hemis have power to spare and the increased torque is awsome. im not sure is theres a difference in a regular cab but my crew cab is very quiet inside. although the cummins has double the torque im sure you dont have any trouble pushing snow with that hemi, i dont have a plow on my 2500 yet but hopefully soon. my 3rd gen hemi pushs snow no problem so i could imagine how the new ones are. good luck with her.

13. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

maybe I am wrong but it looks like Simsbury road in the pictures

14. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Can't brand them all the same, but i have only ever meet one car salesman i felt i could actually trust, the rest have just been pushy and not very knowledgeable on their products.

My girlfriend is car shopping, and with my shift work i have went looking during the day a couple of times without her. We have from the same dealer on the same car both been quoted significantly different monthly payments on the same car. Seems if you don't know to ask, they feel no need to give you the extras, slimy bastards haha.

Anyway didn't mean to come across argumentatively, nice truck :drinkup: