1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New ride

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Mikemat31, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

So i know i will probably get alot of SH** for this but this is my car. I am 17 I paid for half of the car so I don't want people to think that daddy just went out bought me a brand new car. Its an 08 bmw 328xi with 26k miles. I have been shoveling snow since I was 10 busting my hump landscaping during the summer and it just feel good after I see the finished product. I put up 11k and they doubled what I had(they did the same thing for my other siblings) . I am not at the point in my snow removal business where I need a plow just yet but hopefully in the future. Just had someone call for an estimate so hopefully I can get another account.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

2. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

The car is certified but the person whose car it was brought it in when we were there thats why it is dirt. We have to wait another week to pick it up

3. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

that wont make you any money it will just cost you money thousands in repairs 100000000000000000000000000000000000 for tires brakes and oil change

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

They are great cars. You are going to love it. Look after it and it will last a long time.

I don't recommend taking it on your estimate though. People are funny about that stuff.

I have a 1996 328is. No winters since 1998. It has 60,000 miles and I haven't had to do the brakes yet. Uses the same tires and oil as most vehicles so I don't know why that is going to cost you so much.

5. Marek

Marek Senior Member

How much will you insurance be on a BMW at 17 ? I have three boys who all drive trucks and thier insurance all started at 220 per month each.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I'll be honest Mikematt, I think you made a bad decision.

It's highly unneeded as a vehicle, especially if you have your own business. You could have paid for a good used truck completely with half your money and your parents matching.

And I'm not trying to rag on your parents as I'm sure they are great people, but I wouldn't have let my son buy a vehicle like that in the first place, at the age of 17. My first vehicle cost me $600 dollars and served me extremely well until I went to college. And even my second car only cost $6,000 and last a good 6 years.

I just feel for you as you could have taken that money and invested into something way better.

When ever you get some free time, you should really listen to this guy.

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

Whether you agree or disagree with his spending and investing advice, his basic message will make you that much more successful in the future.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Well put...!!!

Plain and simple my son who is attending college at the bright age of 18 is NOT driving a BMW in any fashion. Completely not needed, his 2003 SVT Focus is perfect. I too am not trying to down play any of your HARD work what so ever...as a matter of fact your a rarity as most kids your age never save, all they know is spend. But I agree, whether your parents were willing to pay half of anything, should of invested in something more practical as your first car...makes a lot more sence in the long run.

Guess it's a moot point now as your getting ready to take delivery, congrads on your first big purchase !!

Just my .02 cents worth.

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Nice car and glad you put some of your own money towards it, but no 17 year old needs a car like that. Unless you are on one of those reality shows. Like others said think you would of been much better off with something that can help make you money, instead of costing you money. Then when you are older and established buy all the toys you want.

my .02

9. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

should have gotten a truck =D

10. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Really?! Mines been 80 a month since I was 16 (2 years) thats crazy.

I have to agree that it seems like an unneccesary vehicle.. But you busted your ass and I have to applaud you for that. Especially being up at college and seeing all the brand new cars and trucks here. Theres a guy with a 2011 Cummins. You know he didnt shell that 60000 out. Ridiculous.

As for me, my parents bought my truck(in my sig) but I worked hard to put gas in it, tires on it (posi... yikes) and they didnt help with parts or anythiing. I paid for my car in full out of my pocket. 800 bucks. I think its perfect for college, great mileage and if it gets sprayed with rocks or gets hit, oh well.

Hope your decision works well for you

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The new BMW's require a vacuum style oil change, there is no drain plug on the pan - basically a dealer only service. Plus they'll require synthetic at the dealer's price.

Best of luck, its a beautiful car. Like others have said, cars are a depreciating asset but at 18 you could care less.

Well he is from Jersey.

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Nice car...congrats! Screw what enyone else thinks. If it made sense to you...thats all that matters.

13. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

Thanks all for the replies. I just don't need a work truck right now. There is no need for it at all I am not that point. Why should I buy one if I am not even sure I am going to be using it in a few years. I was given the opportunity to take all the money and invest it in a hedge fund but I like the sounds of car better. As far as gas I have to pay for, but as far as parts breaks oil etc. It is covered under BMW certification for 6 years from the date of purchase or 100k miles. So because its an 08 it will take me 2014 it is covered bumper to bumper. If the car lasts me longer that 8 years I will be thrilled.

keep the comments coming

14. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

thanks I don't let it bother me. Bottom line I learned the value of the dollar at a young age. One of the most important lessons for a kid to learn.

15. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

insurance is around $2,000 a year I know all of you are going to say that alot, however NJ has the highest insurance rates in the country. And yes I will be helping pay for it

16. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

Yes I know what your saying people will automatically think that I am a pretentious D-bag. I would probably think the same however, people are naive and often don't look at the big picture

17. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

So you shoveled for 7 years and the return is a car? Are you implying that hard physical work payed off? If you don't change your ways this will be your first and last BMW unless the parents kick in. The reality is, most of the successful guys on this site probably wouldn't even bother to post about what they have. (outside of equipment)
    The last thing a customer wants to see you pull up in is a BMW.

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Nice car and good for you for saving up the amount that you did. Like somebody said, I wouldn't drive that to estimates. I can't say that I would take a 17 year old seriously who shows up in a Beamer and to sell me snow services. I think I'd point to the Beamer and use it as an excuse to why I shouldn't need to pay a 17 year old too much for plowing, blowing or shoveling. I bought a 10 yr old F250 with a plow at 16 years old for $3500 with my life savings. That was my date truck and work truck.

But hey, enjoy the car!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  19. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

fully agree!

20. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Coming from another teenager in the business im going to say this. If landscaping and snow removal have got you this car why wouldnt you want to invest in your company...if you have a company. That BMW will never ever make you a dollar like a truck would. A BMW is going to rape you with all the stupid little billshit breakdowns when you have to take it to the dealer. Really really stupid purchase. Looks like your gonna be breaking your back for the next 7 years trying to pay for your insureance and breakdowns when your not making money with your car. If i were you id be taking that car back to the dealership while you still can