1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New questions regaurding 1/2ton & 8ft plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by weeman97, Nov 30, 2006.

1. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i'm getting a 8ft Fisher MM1 for free. although it is an 8ft i was told my 1/2ton 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 OffRoad ed. could handle it. since i will not be doing any real large size commerical. is this true? also should i add timbrens to be safe? and i have a amp & sub setup in my truck with a 450-500w amp should be be concerned with my battery(optima retop) or alternator? thanks in advance.

2. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

Hey your battery and alt will do good i have the optima also. My father has a dodge 1500 with a 8 foot Meyer Polly blade and the truck handles it just fine. The boss dealer installed a 7''6 vee blade on my 2004 f150 and it also works real well. I am a firm believer in ballast even in my f250 I put weight in the bed like 800lbs or so. Good luck with your plow.wesport wesport
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Can it "handle it"? Sure. The type of accounts doesn't really matter much with this. The problem comes from carrying it around. The 8' HD weighs about 80 or 90 pounds more than the 7.5' RD. This extra weight is putting more stress on the front end components. So you'll get more wear and faster than if you had the 7.5' that was intended for that vehicle. Timbrens might help the ride some. The battery and alternator should be fine.
  4. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

thanks alot guys. i was kind of hesitant to put it on my truck. it is not a poly plow its a steel plow. but i guess if i take it easy and only put it on when i need it i should be ok? i look forward to my first and hopefully many plow nights.