1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New purchase

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KenP, Jun 27, 2003.

1. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Just picked up a used BOSS 7'6" super-duty smart hitch. The cutting edge is bearly worn and the blade looks almost new. I also got a Western Snoflo spreader used two times. I paid 2100.00 for all. It also came with a yellow work light, a pallet of salt, an emergency repair kit with two solenoid's and a floor snake for the joystick controller. So my questions are:

Do we think this was a good deal?
    Anything special I should know about the BOSS plow and spreader?
    Should I choose to unload the plow would there be any takers?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If it is all in working condition then I would say it is an excellent deal. Do you have any use for it?

3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Ken,sounds like a good deal.What kind of truck does the mount fit?

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

ya it sounds like a good deal to me. good luck with the boss snowplow if you ues it next season.:)

5. KenP

KenP Senior Member

The main reason I got it was for the spreader. It came off a 1998 Chevy 1500. If I use the plow it will go on my 1995 Dodge 3500 Cummins diesel dump. It will be replacing a 8' Western, that has seen some better days. The Boss is in excellent working order so I'm thinking swap it out with the Western and throw a set of wings on it. I'll post a pic in a few days of the two items. Also, I was told the mount for my Dodge will run $415.00 Bananas, does that seem right?

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

That's way to small a plow for your Dodge dually.I don't think the wings will hold up under a big truck like that either.

Get a bigger plow,or make some good extensions which will hold up to your truck.Do a search,I have posted some that I have done,and there was another member who extended his as well.Good pics of it.

7. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Ken if you deside to get rid of the boss or the 8' western >PM me i might be intrested.

8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Sounds like a great deal. The spreader alone was probably worth every penny of what you paid. If you offload that Boss you will probably be able to get nearly all of your money back :)

Good Luck Ken

Jay

9. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Update

When the fella droped the plow off the other day I noticed he had a hanger cut and placed into the harness coupler(in place of the proper pin) So I go the whole package for 1,800.00

10. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hey Ken,
    It sounds real good. Good use of $$. My Dually Chevy with a 7.5 ft plow had wings. It is a little less plow than the truck will push but it works. The 7.5 without the wings will not work with a dually. Path is too narrow. Outside dual rides in the windrow. I would sell the plow, and buy what you want for that blue dumper. Then put the sander in the back. Bolt that puppy down good though. If you were closer, I would be interested in the Boss.
    See ya...
    scottz:nod:

11. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Scott,

I was wondering about the size of the blade in relation to the dual rear axel, thanks for pointing that out. As far as the wings are concerned, you feel they would work in a pinch for a season or two? I could always make a trip out your way for some fishing, skiing or Atving. What do you think the fright would be for an item like that? I enjoyed speaking with over dinner that night, you really opened my eyes to the liquid side ice control. I think I'll be switching to Magic this comming season, I need to learn a lot more before jumping to the liquids.

12. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Ken,
    I used the 7.5 ft std with wings for 2 years. It was pretty good except I like the shock on the pro plow. I found an 8 ft proplow last year and never got the wings put on it. That is the only mod for the Dually for this year. New wings. An 8 ft Proplow with wings is an excellent choice for the dually. We get enough snow that a 9 ft may keep me from pushing easily. The dually only has a 350 motor.
    If that Boss is really nice, hit me with a regular email. Maybe we can work something out.:waving: