1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New purchase: F250 or Ram 2500?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ommegang, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I am going to purchase a new plow truck ASAP after a good Winter here in WI. Either an 08' F250 w/ speedwing(600 miles) or an 06 Ram (2500 miless, hail damage off lot) 2500 SLT w/ power plow. Hear that the 5.4 in the F250 may lack. True? I have an 06 Dakota and I love the HEMI Both trucks are Reg cab dealer installed plows.

Would very much appreciate opinions. The RAM is 12,000 less but cash up front whereas the Ford is 6 year 0 financing.

Thanks much,

Lance

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I own a 2003 Ford F-250 supercab short bed, leather 8ft fisher mm2. It has the 5.4 it lacks a little bit off the start if you go to step on it it is a little doggish but when it gets goign it will go. And it plows really good. I pull a 9000lb 30ft fifth wheel with it with no problems. I think you would like it. What I like about the fords and dodges are the full solid front axles.

[​IMG]

3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

how bad is the hail damage?

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya thats true how bad is it? is it very noticeable?

5. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

As bad as it gets. But, as we all now, plow trucks take a beating so, I really don't believe that the hail damage will be an issue except for resale. I don't have muck experience w/ fords but it's a good deal. And the dodge has 2500 miles, probably after hail damage as a demo so, you never know there. The only thing I question is the snow plow prep packages which, on dodge, at leat the 08, look to be more rugged. The new 08 Fors, I know it's new. The Ram, no warranty.

6. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

keep in mind if you go dodge...never thought I would recommend this...but they have the lifetime warranty for the gas engines.... 3/4 ton hemi, with lifetime warranty..not too bad

7. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Why no warranty? Because of the hail damage? If that's the case, then it probably was an insurance write off for the dealer, and the title is branded as salvage. I don't know what kind of discount they are giving you, but I believe that I read a while back that salvage titled vehicles are worth about 50% less on trade than new ones.

Also, has the paint been broken by any of the hail damage? If so, you'll need to factor in repairs there to keep the rust at bay.

Even if the Dodge is a steal, keep in mind that there's no warranty, so you'll be responsible for any and all repairs that are needed, & as we all know, engine and trans repairs are expensive! Can you get an aftermarket warranty for it? I never buy them, but in this case it might be worth it!

Good luck!

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would say Dodge but if the one you are looking at has no warranty forget about it. If you go with the Ford at 0% its like useing someone elses money. I think I have seen the Dodge you are talking about on Traderonline, maybe.

Why not just try to find another Dodge? I know I can get an 07-08 reg cab 4x4 3/4ton Dodge HEMI brand new from the dealer for under $27,000. A new 8' Hiniker straight blade can be had for ~$3500 so why not just go that route? It sounds like you are willing to spend some coin since you say the Ford is $12,000 more than the Dodge you are looking at. Then you get a full warranty and you know where it has been.

Is it this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...011QQitemZ320217205174QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

Ya salvage you wont get crap for in a trade in.

10. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

Yep, that's it. He actually has two of them left, he said he bought forty total. He'll take 20 if anyone is interested. I keep comming back to the Ford at 0 for six years with a blizzard plow that I would like to try. Just not sure yet. I guess the 5.4 would save a little on gas perhaps vs the others. How much do blizzard's 810sw retail for, installed, at present? Right now I have a 91 GMC w/ a conventional plow.

Thanks guys,

Lance

11. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

BTW, you don't get crap on a trade-in for an a1 grade these days. I have an 03 Eclipse GTS 4,000 miles = $12,000 trade-in, $26,500 I paid. Probably the same way with the 06 Dakota QC that I have w/ 7,000 miles that my dad bought before he passed away. At trade-in prices I could sell it in one day on craigslist. Sad state of affairs

12. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

07/08Ram 2500 for under $27,000 I will have to look into. I think they all have 0 financing for at least three years.

13. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I picked up my 06' (in 06'), Quad cab short box, Cummins, Big Horn package, all the bells and wistles, besides the leather and navigation for ~$32,000.
    The Reg. Cab Long boxes with the Hemi they are just about giving away around here. I dont know were you are from but it may be worth a trip to Rosedale Dodge or Monticello Dodge. Monticello will probably work with you more since they are out of the city and have less overhead. A friend of mine just picked up a new 1500 quad short with everything, leather, sunroof, etc... drove it away for $26,500

Monitcello is advertising an 07' Mega cab with the 6.7 for $33,881. Go in and beat them up some more...
    http://www.monticellododge.com/j/i/...DGE&model=RAM+2500&price=&category=&comments=

Rosedale still has new 06's on their lot. Could probably just about steel one of those, I think they are 5-speeds though

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  14. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

The new 5.4 liters are alot better than the older ones. We have one in an 05 F-250 and it runs damn good... And it has a 8'6" MVP on it... I'd say Ford all the way, but I am biased...

15. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you read the Ebay ad on the Dodge it's a Salvage Title and an insurance write off truck.
    I would go new or find a better used one then that, he has been trying to sell those 2 plow trucks on Ebay for a good while now there is probably a reason they havent sold yet!

16. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

x2 Ford is the only way to go. that 5.4 will have enough grunt to do the job and those motors are built to last.

17. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

18. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I think either one is a good pick. If you were looking to go diesel I would say stay away from the new fords. The 6.0s have been noted to have their share of problems and the 6.4s are even worse as I have been told.

19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I cant fathom why, ESPECIALLY if you are financing, you would EVER consider buying a SALVAGED vehicle. That baffles me. Were not talking $5000 here. Your talking $20,000-$30,000. Dont buy price if you are using financing. Buy the truck that you are going to want to drive for the next 4 years, because your most likely going to be paying on it for that long. I would buy an F-350. Nothing less. I guess that would equate to a Dodge 3500. If you are serious about plowing, you need a 1 ton. If you want to be harry half azz, than get a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.....and Salvage????? Why in the world would you want to do that unless you could get a 2006 for $7,500.00. Good luck man.

20. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

Thanks guys, I am ready to pull the trigger on an F250 w/ blizzard plow by this weekend.