1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Project: Operation Ugly Truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by SnowPro93, Jan 27, 2012.

1. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

So we picked up a new project which we fittingly named Operation Ugly Truck. It's an 02 GMC 2500HD 4x4. It has 86k miles and needs some work to say the least but for $2K and an $85 tow I figured it was a pretty good deal. It needs exhaust manifolds, brake lines, tires, alternator, tensioner pulley, heater core and most of all too be cleaned up because it was pretty rusted up from sitting for a year and a half. I'll try and keep a constant flow of progress pics.

First pics are the truck before the body was pulled off and where I started cutting around the grommets for the wiring harness that I'll repurpose for the flatbed I'm going to build for it.

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

2. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Here's a couple more pics of after we went at it with hammers and air needles to get all the scale off, You can see there is a good amount of flake on the floor under the truck. The rest are of the progress we made in the last two days.

We're taking our time and cleaning the frame up good before painting. I trimmed up the rear cross member with the plasma cutter to remove the rot. We'll be adding two more 4" channel cross members to stiffen it up.

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

3. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Here's a better pic of the rear cross member after I trimmed it back to were it was still thick. There's a whole lot of rust to deal with on this one:dizzy:

IMAG0371.jpg

4. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

How much do you expect to spend?

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

looking good can't wait to see this thing done!

6. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I figure if I'm into it for $5-6g at the end of the day I'm pretty happy but I think I'll be done for around $4g total. I have all the steel stock to build the bed, etc. Most of the money will be into motor work cause I'm thinking I might as well do the head gaskets and intake gaskets while I'm at it. It also came with an 8' curtis thats in much better shape than the truck.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Can't wait to see the finished project. I admire your handy work and skills.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Should be a cool project and even if it isnt you still got a good deal. What is that handy tool sitting on the tire?

9. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

That is a Air Needle Scaler. Welder's use them for cleaning up there welds, etc. It works great for getting into spring hangers and stuff. Especially nice when cleaning up rivets on spring hangers.

Thank You. Since we're lacking in the snow department it's nice to have something to do everyday.

10. comeeonn

comeeonn Senior Member

nothing makes me happier than someone bringing a chevy back to life. keep up the good work and keep the pics comin!

11. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Looks like the hitch is holding the frame together! Cool project for sure

12. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

How did a relatively newer vehicle such as that get destroyed so quickly! Congrats on finding a deal even if it requires some work.

13. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Maybe a shop cleanup is is your future as well : )

14. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Looks good. I wish I had the shop space and time to do that... It's a great way to have a nice vehicle for a relatively little amount of money

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

Glad to see your saving the truck and fixing it up, looking forward to more progress pictures.

16. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

My dad is a little bit of a collector which makes things a little congested hahaha if you think the shop is bad you should see my yard :dizzy:

17. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

looks like a good project to keep you busy

18. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Took some more pics of the truck. I had to bolt in a piece of 4" C-Channel to relocate the shock bracket because it was completely gone and I wanted to stiffen the truck up a bit. Just have to get my welder back so I can weld her in.

At the end of the day I also fabbed a bracket for my curtis touchpad so its on the door but fully removable when the plow isn't on the truck.

I hate holding controllers in my hand while plowing. I'm only 22 but I learned the old school way and I was never a fan of the fishstick I had for a couple storms.

IMAG0398.jpg

IMAG0399.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0397.jpg

19. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Subscribed, looks like this'll be a good project!

20. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

At least the cab looks like it's in great shape.