1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New project. Early 80's John Deere

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by '01_1500, May 10, 2010.

1. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

My grandmother has had this sitting in her shop for years. It was my grandfathers but he died in the late 80's. My dad used to use it to mow her lawn and for snow blowing in the winter but it was replaced a few years back and hasn't been run much since. I got it running today but it was pretty rough. I figure some carb work and plugs will help it a lot.

I plan to restore it and use it around the house. It has a trailer and snow blower that come with it as well as the mowing deck that you can see on it. Does anyone know much about these old tractors? It looks like they only made this model from 79-83 and the engine isn't known to be the best.

EDIT: I forgot to add that everything on it except the hood is metal and the craftsmanship isn't like anything you see on mowers they make today which is why I plan to fix it up, along with it being in the family for about 30 years.

[​IMG]

2. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

gotta love old John Deeres. I have restored 2 of them and in the middle of another one. The ones that I have done is a 112 and a 214. The 112 we use just for pulling the lawn carts around. Our 214 is all set up for spraying. The 445 that we are in the middle of restoring will just be a back up mower. There is a big difference in how mowers are built today and when they were built back in the day. Good luck on your project!

3. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Good luck with the project. I am sure it beauty once you are all done with it.

4. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

I have the exact same tractor picked it up this past winter for $750 with all of the same attachments as yours. Mine burns oil pretty bad, but I only use it to roll lawns and don’t have any other plans for it. I heard the same thing about the motors as well. For as bad as mine burns oil the thing runs friggen great. I don’t get it. My buddy has a small engine repair shop said the cylinders can be bored .01 over. What I did was power washed the motor get the grime off, cleaned the carb, (make sure the governor is set right or the thing will rev to the moon) new plugs and make sure the points are clean with some electronics spray cleaner. If yours still has the original points put new ones in. That should make it run have fun with it.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Is that 17 hp kohler with 2 cylinders? If it I series it garbage. Don't ask why.

I hope you have II series Kohler. It huge issues with oil system if you mow on any hill it blow up.

6. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

I got it running pretty well with just a simple tune up and replacing the battery and cables. There are some other issues with it that need to be addressed but It's on its way. I have a zero turn I mow with so I'm not quite sure what this one will be used for yet. The blower is in good shape so depending on what I end up with for snow accounts this year it might see some sidewalk use. I plan to pretty much go through the whole thing and fix it up as well as repaint it.

7. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Those machines are built like tanks. I started plowin on a 316 and have had two 317's and currently a 318. The 318 still sees a little bit of snow action

8. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

what motor is in it?

9. Milwaukee

I was make mistake on post.

I hope you have 17 hp series II which is improve version of 17 hp I series.

10. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

The 17 HP Kohler twin. I'm debating whether or not I'm going to keep that motor in it or not though.

11. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I got 2 316's at my job and they ARE built like tanks! One of them is used to pull wagons around.. It can pull a 2 ton steel roller without any issues except for stopping...lol have to stop slowly..lol The other has a snow plow with the hydraulic lift. It's a pretty good setup. Not sure of the HP rating but am 99.9% sure they have Onan opposed twin cylinder engines that run like clocks. One of them does burn some oil but it's fine.. Great tractors !

12. Milwaukee

[QUOTE='01_1500;1041573]The 17 HP Kohler twin. I'm debating whether or not I'm going to keep that motor in it or not though.[/QUOTE]

Just use until it died then swap with 18 hp kohler or diesel