1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Products and my predictions for next season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow, May 18, 2000.

1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Well, i just body my copy of trailer-body builders mag.(ntea show review issue) and saw some interesting new inovations. Fisher unveiled a 9.5' v-plow. Snowman has a 6.5' and a 7'2&quot;(i think) power angle rear mounted plow made for smaller vehicles. <br>***I believe that in 2000-2001 season, snow pushers will get big, along w/ pre-wetting, magic, and hook-lift trucks. These trucks look great, because of ease from switching from one body to another. You could have a dump body, v-box spreader, flatbed,etc and switch from one to another in minutes. I also think that we'll recieve record snowfalls. What are your thoughts for new innovations, new products, or thoughts for next season?<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  2. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

bryan, where can I get a copy of that mag.<p>----------<br>Todd <br>
  3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Todd, go to &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.trailer-bodybuilders.com/&quot;&gt;this link, click here&lt;/a&gt;. <p>Bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Hi - I've popped into several of the discussions on this fine site, and though I have lots of input on snow moving and removal, (pardon me!) but I have no idea what Magic Salt is. I assume from the context of the discussions that it is applied to normal salt to activate it in a more effective way. If someone will humour me with a detailed description, I would be most appreciative. Thanks much. <p>----------<br>John<br>P.S. My project for the summer is to add an 8.5 foot back box to my JD 310C as well as a 9'2&quot; Boss Vee to the front. The heater/defroster needs some improvement too, but my goal is to improve upon a vee-blade truck for residential/condo plowing. Your comments would be appreciated.<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: Deere John
  5. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

John,Magic-0 is a chemical composed of Mag-chloride and the waste product from a brewery which is called distilled solids.This gives Magic a unique smell like mollasses,or a dark beer. Magic is totally environmentally safe for,concrete,asphalt,landscaping etc.Magic lowers the freezing point of water to about 35o below 0,which reduces the possibility of ice.It can be sprayed on salt which increases the salts melting capability by 40%.It also nutralizes the corrosive nature of salt therefore making salt non-corrosive.If you put this on your salt and then in your spreader it will actually EAT RUST! pretty weird but its true and it is used throughout municipalities in ny,new england,nj and pa.It is now available to the public and comes in liquid or presprayed salt in 25 and 50lb bags.It is quicky taking over the calcium market in fact calcium has lost 90% of the municiple market in ny to magic.it wont hurt your skin,clothes,animals,carpet,linolium,tile,you name it its safe and works better than calcium.If you use it you will see a reduction in your salt use of 30 to 50%.if you have any more qestions ill be happy to tell you more. thanks John<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200
  6. steven Bousquet

steven Bousquet Junior Member

i used that majic mix this winter and i had to go back to calcium. i did not get any melting with that product. was i supose to put it down before the snow?
  7. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Steven how did you use it,in what form.your reaction is not unusual if it was used improperly and this can happen very easily.Not knowing how or when u used it ,my geuss is u put straight liquid down on either snow,hard pack snow or existing ice.Give me the details and i can tell you why you had poor results.Threr are some guidelines to follow which are easy and if followed it will work much better than calcium,dont give up,you may have been using ice-ban which is similar but its make up is drastically different. Thanks John<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Hey guys,<br>John, I sold Steve the bagged material. It was used during our very cold spell in January, I to noticed dimished results. One thing to remember is that the bagged material has about 50% less magic applied to the salt then does field sprayed salt.<br>However we used the same bagged material during the same time period and had fine results. We did pre apply and use it as a deicer. We found that the residual material from one storm would prevent ice up on the next storm. We even had a small lot that we applied just magic salt to and reuced our plowing by 50%.<br>I cant say exactly what happened to the material Steve used, but he told me he liked the cracking sound of Calcium as it worked.<br>I did notice that the magic salt when used as a deicer took slightly longer then calcium but the added enviormental and corrosive factors are weighed it is a magic is a much better product, and less costly to use.<br>Dino <br> <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org