1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Process 208 C 1 Blown??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cretienlt, Jan 11, 2005.

1. cretienlt

cretienlt Junior Member

Howdy, I have an 87 Chevy V20 pickup, While plowing (back blading to be precise) I heard a pop and lost drive to the front tires. Tried 4Hi an 4Lo still no drive to the front tires. I do hear the normal gear noise in 4lo. Two high seems fine. While backing up I hit a patch of ice and the rears spun, but the fronts did not. Am I safe to assume the transfer case is the issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

make sure the splines in the front driveshaft didnt wear out. I thought the same as you last year in my 87.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

you sure its the TC, first jack up the truck and put her in gear and see if the front shaft is spinning.

4. cretienlt

cretienlt Junior Member

Dont think its the splines, the front axle bolts to the transfer case and when it was on ice the rear drive shaft spun but the front did not while in four wheel.

Unforunatly I can't lift the whole vehicle to check for engagement but I will lift just the front and see if the front diff and hubs are working. In essence lock both hubs, turn one tire by hand and see if the other spins in reverse. Then I will twist the front shaft and see if the tires move. If they do, could that mean it could only be the transfer case?

5. ratlover

from IL

if its in 4x4 and you have the front jacked up and you can spin the front shaft(It may take some effort) then yes something is nuked.

6. ratlover

from IL

you could have blown a hub or blown the front end. you said it goes into 4lo so its not a linkage issue......

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I had the same symptoms when I broke the joint and left axles on the front of my truck. Could be all sorts of things, so you'll need to investigate the driveshaft as mentioned.

ps: the broken axle shaft could be seen from the front of the truck thru the open knuckle....

8. crashz

crashz Senior Member

If you find that the driveshaft turns if you turn the tires, it is possible that the old 208 gave up the ghost. The front drive shaft is driven by a chain assembly that often stretches and eventually breaks. Also common is the shift forks in the case wearing thin and poping outa gear. Either one requires tearing down the T-case to fix /rebuild. I've found it cheaper and much quicker to find a junkyard T-case to put back in.

Of course if you're interested in selling the old dog for cheap $$, I could take it off your hands. :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Disconnect the front axle engagement motor and shift into 4wd. Try turning the drive shaft by hand and if you cant, then the t-case is OK. Most likely. Double check to be sure the frontaxle disconect motor is working and engaging the axles shaft halves.

10. maintenanceman

maintenanceman Member

I just blew out my transfer case last week. Its a new process on a 85 gmc. The chain on mine let go with a big clunk, however before the chain totally broke it sent one of the links right through the case. The best way to check your problem is to drain the oil out of the transfer case and in the drain hole is a magnet. Check to see if there are any big pieces of metal. If you find thin triangular pieces of metal, your chain has gone. If you still have 4lo, then the planetary gear is toast. Best to drain the case first, the metal stuck to the magnet will indicate what has broken. Best of luck.

11. cretienlt

cretienlt Junior Member

Eureka I found it........

Looks like it was the chain in the Xfer case. I jacked up the front end and locked the hubs. Turning the front wheels, with effort and a buddy, turned the front drive shaft. Turning the front axle turned the front wheels. I had access to a new/used Xfer case same type and ratio and replaced it. Problem solved.

Thanks again for your input.