1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new problem now

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mole, Mar 18, 2004.

1. mole

mole Senior Member

fiexed the float today but this morning went to raise my boss trip edged stright blade just clicking noise, changed solinod changed fuse just read don ems had the same problem still nothing plow wont raise move just dead. Have it short chained right now. any body else have any other ideas?. fluid is full all connections are tight and greased. any ideas would be great before i take it in. Im really thinking it's the motor but i hope Im wrong. also went to bosses sight and did all the trouble shooting. The real problem is I dont have an amp meter and even if i did i still wouldn't know where to start. thank god it's not going to snow in buffalo.

2. LI landscaping

LI landscaping Junior Member
    from NY

Not real familiar with the boss plows. I know I had a similar problem on my fisher wich turned out to be a bad ground at the battery. The neg. Battery terminal was not completely tight. not enough to cause a problem starting but enough to not allow plow to work.

Have you / can you jump start the motor to see if it works?

3. mole

mole Senior Member

jump start what motor?. The truck runs fine i think the plow motor might be shot. I looked at the grounds they look fine nothing loose.

4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Don't know much about the boss stuff here but I had a similar problem with a Fisher MM and it ended up being a dirty filter in the pump. Cleaned it out and the plow worked great.

5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

He was talking about jumping power over to the pump motor from the pos terminal of your battery.
    There is a connection with a big red wire on it on the pump.
    If you jump power to that connection with jumper cables you should be able to tell if the pump motor is bad.
    Be careful when you jump power to the pump because the blade will move.
    Don't jump power to the pump motor for more than a few seconds.
    Just do it long enough to see if the pump motor runs.

6. mole

mole Senior Member

boss dealer just called and said it was the motor. Part is coverd under warranty. Wow it would have been 671.00 Is this something I could have or do myself not being mechanicly inclined but can follow directions?. the part alone was 509. and 100 and change for labor. Just wondering.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Those motors made out of gold? My god, $671 for a hydraulic pump motor change? I think we are all on the wrong end of feeding chain.

8. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Those motors made out of gold? My god, $671 for a hydraulic pump motor change? I think we are all on the wrong end of feeding chain.

Correct. I just watched a show on the calif. gold rush of 1849. Few of the workers made a lot of money. The big money went to the people that supported them with food, supplies, liquor, etc.
    We are just the workers, seems like it should be the other way around but what the hell someone has to do the actuall work.

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

It's just like in the mowing business, the people that fix our equipement charge more per hour to fix our stuff than we charge per hour. Go to a repair shop and quote them 50-60 per hour to mow their property, and they would have a fit!!!!! We have to learn how to fix our equipement ourselves, and just buy the parts off of the dealers. If they continue to want to rape you on repairs, when you buy new equipement, go elsewhere. If enough people do it, they might get the drift. If I have to pay full price for service, I only pay it where I can get immediate service when something breaks, not the old "well it will be done in 4-5 day's" crap. I have better luck from the local auto repair shop, he will fix stuff on the trailer, and cheap, because he know's I will be back.

10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I was thinking about looking at a Boss, but the way motors go out on plows, I don't think so!!!!!

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Mine's a '97 model year... still going strong.

12. mole

mole Senior Member

I was thinking of a businiess adventure with a local repair guy, 24 hrs road side assistance for plow repair. man this would be great. Who doesn't need to know that someone is out there at 2am to help you. Just a phone call away. If you have a van or a cube van stock some parts ,tools whatever. plow or landscape just a phone call away to get you back working. Im looking into this right now. let me know what you guys think maybe it could be nation wide franchise. Look at me who do I think I am Donald trump. Not. But it is a good idea.