1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Pro Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KC2LLW, Jan 28, 2011.

1. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Hello,
    I just got my new pro plow on Tuesday night just in time to plow 14" of snow here in north Jersey work great and love the plow. My question is I notice a small amount of fluid on the snow after parking it over night seems to be coming from the lift cylinder where the packing nut is. should I try to tighten the nut? is this normal? or should I call my dealer and have him look at it?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

If I just got the plow I would let the dealer do it..

But then, I am not you, so I would try to snug the packing nut down just a little more..

Recheck the fluid just incase

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I find that new plow rams often leak. Like twinman said, check the big nut at the end of the ram where the piston come out. It should be tight. But it it is leaking just a bit then give it a bit of time to break in. It may just be a bit of dirt that got in during assembly that will work it's way out. If it is just a bit wet don't worry too much for a while but if it is actually leaking enough to make a puddle on the snow then the seal is hooped. They are easy and quick to change. It takes more time to get the truck in the shop and clean the snow off than it does to replace them, about 1/2 hour if they know what they are doing. The trick is not to damage the new seal putting it in. If they don't have the seal (micky mouse operation) then insist on a new ram. You paid good money for it so make them work for it.

4. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

I checked it again today seems like a 2 to 3" red spot in the snow I checked the nut and it was tight also check the fluid and it took about an 1/8 of a quart to top it off I also noticed the fluid was red and the fluid i toped it off with looked blue? I used western fluid # 49311 I guess I should bring it back to the deal....

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

take it back. fluid should be blue. and it shouldn't leak.

6. mishnick

If this plow is new and leaking red they have used transmission fluid instead of proper western plow oil. Take it back and give them hell. That is bullcrap!

7. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

that figures just anything to make a buck from a customer. Figured that he would never find out till Later JMHO :mad:

8. mishnick

Not all dealers are like that. I work at a western authorized dealer and they are on my back all the time to "take care" of the plow guys. After all they are our bread and butter. I hear every day how the plow operators talk to each other and this site is evidenc of that fact. The last thing in the world I want is to screw over a customer over a little thing like the right oil and have him tell all his friends. You guys pay my wage after all! You can't expect to stay in business long with a nickle and dime attitude.

9. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Well glad to hear that you are one of the good guys on here and you realy care about the plow guys your Bread and Butter. If more people like your self showed as much compation in what they do the USA and Canada would be in a whole lot better shape and not the shape we're in now as a whole. But if you look at some of the other plow outfits the all have problems in there welds,cheap steel.poor electrical, bad paint jobs,Ect Ect,Ect . Just some don't have as may.
    For a good example look at toyota everyone swore they were better than american cars of what ever brand.Now all of sudden they have all these problems with recalls because for year they were puttin threw stuff that was not completely tried out for what ever just to get that car out for saleThumbs Up

10. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

So not only is it leaking but they use the wrong fluid?? I just happen to have two quarts of Western brand fluid that i bought for my E46 on my Willys Jeep that i have upstate at my parents farm, and when i added some fluid to my brand new Western plow i thought why is this blue and the stuff leaking on the snow red! i will be calling them up tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. mishnick

Unfortunately it's all about economics. When someone tries to buid a better product it costs more than the competition and people simply won't buy it. I was born in 58 so have been around a few seasons, when I was a kid we had a furniture factory in my town that made real good quality hardwood furniture. Then cam outfits like Leon's and Ikea. The owner and my dad were friends so I heard all the complaints as this company went bankrupt. No matter how good quality you provide, no matter how much you advertize that fact, the majority of people will buy the cheaper version. Service, on the other hand, is a different story. When a customer gets screwed a couple of times they will try another mechanic, if there is one. And then once they find a good shop they will stay. We tell our customers that we are selling relationships as much as the plows and the service. It takes years to develop that kind of good reputation.... but even then there are some customers who will never be satisfied if they have to pay a bill at the end of the day.

As far as Toyota goes, well they have their lemons too. With a company like that the decision to put a washer on a bolt or not is a million dollar decision. GM, Ford and Doge have all had their lemons. A good example of that is the new 2011 GM 3500 headlamp. The manual tells you how to remove the passanger's side headlamp bulb but says nothing about the driver's side. When you take it to the dealer they tell you it's $125 to replace (+ the bulb) You have to take the battery, the ww bottle and the engine ecu out just to be able to see the bulb. Just think how that little change in engineering effects people like me who get pait a flat rate to do a plow installation where I have to plug my western harness into the headlamps? They used to be so easy, two L shaped pins, zip zip and the headlamp assembly is out. I would like to meet the pinky ring (engineer) who came up with that brain fart. Toyota..... don't even get me started, they all have problems.

12. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Well I am a little upset with my dealer now that I know they used the wrong hydraulic fluid. They are a 5 star Western dealer I understand that a cylinder can leak but using transmission fluid is just wrong I will call them tomorrow and let them know my issues and if I am not satisfied with their answers and service to fix the problems I will let everyone know who not to purchase from in my area.
    Thanks
    Steve

13. mishnick

Keep in mind that Western suggests transmission fluid as a viable alternative to their fluid but they should have told you at the very least that they used it. Dexron (trany fluid) is OK for warmer climets but the problems occur when you start mixing fluids. Still, being a "five star" Western dealer they should use OEM (original equipment manufacturer) fluid. i personally like the blue fluid because you know for sure you have a plow leak when you see blue in the snow. If it leaks red then it could also be your trans (if automatic) or the transfer case (some use red there too). There is nothing blue that I know of in any other vehicle part.

14. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Besides draining and refilling the fluid I would be sure to angle the cylinders to get all the fluid out of the system, then go plow for a night and redrain the system.

I wonder how Western feels about their dealers not using OEM fluid...

15. mishnick

Just a minor point, there are no Five Star dealers, Western does not have that designation, any dealer that carries the full line of plows, spreaders and tailgate spreaders is considered a Four Star dealer. If you look at the dealer locator option on the Western site everybody is a Four Star dealer. I think Five Star is a Chrysler thing.

Good point too on purging the rams, don't forget to do the lift ram too. But I think if you purge the rams, let the hoses empty while they are off and drain and refill the reservoir you should be OK doing it once. Unless of course the dealer is going to give you free oil to do it then clearly it is essential. I only say this because the oil is about $4 a litre and you would need about 8 or 9 litres to do it twice. Before commiting to a double flush I would take a bit of the fluid that is in there now and mix it in a clean glass 50/50 with Western oil, you only need a couple spoonfulls of each, and see if they mix without any seperation. I believe they are both based on 10 weight petrolium oil so if they mix OK then reconsider the second purge. After all, oil is not free, or cheap. But most of it does come from our dirty oil sands up here in Alberta Canada these days..... LOL.

16. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Mishnick,
    You are correct they are a 4 star dealer my mistake I will be calling them first thing this morning hope they can get the truck in this afternoon as we are calling for 9" of snow tomorrow and then 1/2" of ice on Wednesday!! Thank everyone for your help I will let you know how I make out.
    Steve