1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Pro Plow...bottoms out.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cti531, Oct 28, 2010.

1. cti531

cti531 Member

I just had a new 8' poly Pro Plow installed on my 2006 Silverado 2500hd. The mount has already bottomed out when entering my driveway and also at a shopping center that I pulled into. Both places do have a "dip" but I am rather surprised at how low this thing sits. I had timbrens installed as well and was just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is normal and what the clearence should be from the ground when my plow is raised.

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I am not sure if it is normal but you should check th e hole orientation. There are 4 different heights to set it at. The installation manual will explain it. When my uncle went from an 03 to an 05 his mount was hitting all the time. He checked the height and it was wrong for the new truck. Once he re-configured it it was fine.

3. cti531

cti531 Member

I actually had it installed at a dealer but am nervous because he told me the normal installer hurt his back so the back up guy was doing it. I don't actually have the installation manual (installer must have it). Anyone else know more about this hole oriantation?

4. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Also try opening up your driver's side door, and look at the tag on the jamb. Look for the FGAWR (Front Gross Axle Weight Rating). Its in lbs. Then run the plow selector on the Western site and see if you springs are heavy enough. Just because a truck is a 3/4 ton, it doesn't mean it has the plow prep springs on it.

EDIT: Of course, after re-reading your post, I see you have the Timbrens. I'm not too familiar with them, but to me, checking the spring rate would not hurt at all.

5. mike12328

mike12328 Junior Member

The problem with the 2500HD is the torsion bars. I have a 2009 and two 2010's and I drive the 2009 personally and had the same problem last year. However, I installed a leveling kit on the front end and the truck still squats a little in the front but with the leveling kit I easily gained 2" which keeps it from bottoming out. How does the truck ride with the timbrens on? I hear that it rides like a tank with them on but if you crank the torsion bars up about 4-6 full turns it will help the ride out with timbrens because you're not bottoming out on the suspension. Basically, puts a little distance between the timbrens.

6. cti531

cti531 Member

I can tell a little difference in the ride with the Timbrens but to me it really isn't that bad. Looks like I need to crank the torsion bars I guess. I just want to make sure that I'm not over reacting here. Any idea how far the lowest part of the plow frame should be off the ground when in the raised position?

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think if you go to westerns website you can get a copy of the installation guide. Sorry I am not to good a t explaining what I am trying to say. I know it says you have to put the truckside on first measure the height off the ground and set plow for that dimension. There are 4 different set ups. Not a chevy guy could just be soft front suspension. Honestly not trying to confuse you.

8. A&LSiteService

A&LSiteService Senior Member

I just cranked up the torsion bars on my 09 and had it aligned. I haven't had an issue since.

9. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

crank your torsion bars and you should be good. I had the same problem with my 04 2500 hd when I put on my new MVP.

10. mike12328

mike12328 Junior Member

Torsion Bars

I'm just curious if anyone else has heard this or done this but I heard that if you stripe a socket and crank the torsion bars 4-6 full turns that you do not have to have it aligned. Anyone else ever heard of this?

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

12. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

You dont always have to have it aligned. Ive cranked mine every which way and never had to align it. Tire wear is just fine also. Look at all the guys that go race and sled pull always adjusting down...you think they realign everytime? Nope. Just make sure you get the sides equal by measuring. Just cause you went 4 turns on right side means that 4 turns on left side will be the same height. Measure both until its right.

13. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  14. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

We just had a wideout installed on an 03 2500HD with plow package and it scraped a plow mount on the road pulling out of the plow shop. ythe guy who insatleld it said to run 600 lbs or more of ballast in the bed and crank the torsion bars 4-6 turns and it shoudl be a lot better. He did say while the chevy's are a better riding truck, the springs are softer hence the squatting. Even without the plow on our truck the truck sits on the bump-stops up front. Seems odd way to design a suspension...

15. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Understatement of the century.