1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Pro Flo 2

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by EIB, Sep 30, 2003.

1. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Picked up my spreader Friday and I almost have it installed on my F350SD crew cab. The only thing I need to do is hook up the brake light. Does anybody know the color and location for the high mount stop light wire? Do they run the wire down the driver's side or pass. side?

The instructions say to use the OEM tap for the high mount. Does any body know were that is?

I have one more question. The Pro Flo 2 has a gate that is adjustable. What position is best for salt spreading. I'm using bag salt.

Thanks Everett

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

everett, there should be a orange wire inside of the loom for the harness runing to the trailer plug. Its usually within a foot of the trailer plug. Let me know if you dont find it. Jeff

3. EIB

EIB Senior Member

The orange wire is part of the spreader harness. I'm looking for the color of the high mount stop light wire for the truck harness.

4. Crash935

On the truck, just behind your 7-way trailer plug, there should be a orange wire that ends near the trailer plug in that harness (tag on it should say "chmsl")

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone know if GM do this same thing? I have a '02 Chevy 2500HD with trailer package.

6. Crash935

Chevy does it also, cant remember the color of the wire though. You know how it is, found that wire so darn many times that i know exactly where it is when ive rolled under the truck, but cant remember as soon as i stand up. I have a chevy i the shop and will roll under it tomorrow and get back to you tomorrow night. Jeff

7. Crash935

everett, sorry, stephen got me thinking and you might be right that it isnt a orange wire on the fords, so i will roll under the ford that is parked next to the chevy and solve the whole darn thing. Sorry guys, maybe its the fumes from all the high performance plow fluid.

8. wxmn6

LOL :D

Not a problem. Please let me know what you find out. ;)

9. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Jeff,

I found the wire. It was a green wire, it was also marked CHMSL. It wasn't coming out of the same loom as the trailer wiring, but it was close. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Everett

10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

EIB - You will have to use the trial and error method. There is a fine line for adjustment on this model. If you open it up to much, it will spill out when you are driving. If you have it, at say 1" open, it will come out rather slow. Mine is opened to 2"! I leave it there, and use the variable speed adj. for heavy and lighter applications. This has worked for me.

Chuck B.

11. Crash935

stephen, I thought the truck would still be there this morning but the dealer showed up after i left and took the truck so i didnt have anything to look at this morning for you. But after asking a few of the guys, its been decided that none of us can remember what color it is but we know its here. Its under there, should be close to the trailer plug, you may have to peel the harness open in a few places because the wire just ends, its not hooked up to anything. Jeff

12. wxmn6

No big deal - I am thinking about letting my dealer install the whole unit anyway. I looked at the install sheet for the under-bed mount and it looks a bit complicated to me. Since I am very busy right now, and will become even more busy when leaves are falling, I think I will let my dealer do the installation. Thanks again for trying! :)

13. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Snoworks,

Do you use a vibrator on your spreader?

Also what is better to use calcium chloride pellets or flakes?

14. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I have never needed a vibrator to operate this unit. I have used bulk salt as well as bagged salt. I would think CCP or flakes would spread even easier than the rock salt.

Chuck B.

15. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Actually I think others have posted this here, and I recall doing this once before as well; the flakes don't spread well because they are so small. They would fall out of the openings too fast to get good spread pattern if I recall correctly, and leak out while traveling between spreadings. If you need to use the calcium chloride, stick with pelletized for better results if you can get that form.

16. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Should hook to the harness right near your break light switch in the cab.

It should be marked CHMSL also.