1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New policy....NO MORE TEXTING!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

First off I've never been a fan of texting period. This morning a 13 year old girl was killed by a teen driving and ran through a bus stopped with bright red flasher's on and hit 2 kids crossing the road to board the bus. The other teen is in critical condition. The teen who was driving was of course using a cell phone at the point of impact and I would assume texting. I wish these parents would pound in their kids heads how dangerous it is! I'm not completely innocent either, we had our first storm this weekend and it was a 6" storm which we got all of the snow within 2-3 hours so it was chaos on the roads. Anything that could go wrong did for the first hour so I was on the phone calling people etc. I got a text from one of our guys and I was trying to read it, before I knew it I was in the other lane. THANK GOD no one was around but right then and there I decided there will be no more texts when we're out plowing. I've seen more people in the last few weeks swerving between lanes and when you get close enough to see what they're doing....you guessed it texting.

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Don't rush to judgment just yet.. I heard a completely different account of that accident than is being reported.. From someone who was there. Absolute tragedy for that girl and her family, but there is more to that story.
    About your no texting policy, that's completely up to you and not a bad thing at all. I've never personally been able to text and plow

3. miked9372

miked9372 Member
    from MN

doesn't PA have a texting while driving ban?

4. Brian Young

A tragedy for sure, the girl was my Wife's, friend's, Niece and thats the story she got while she was there by Trooper's so who knows, just sucks any way you look at it. Thats a bad stretch of road to begin with.

5. Brian Young

Not in effect until March I believe and I think it's a primary offense.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We have no texting in NY doesn't stop people from doing it. The bus driver should never of let them cross until all cars were stopped.

7. Brian Young

Coulda, shoulda, woulda I guess.

8. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Easy to speculate and throw blame around. The driver of the car was questioned and not taken into custody or charged with anything yet. From the sounds of it, the bus driver had no control over any of it. And what should he/she have done? yelled out the window? that's a busy road and it was dark too.

9. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Nobody more dangerous on the road than a texting teenager. I've been thinking that schools need to change the way they operate. On major roads, kids shouldn't be crossing the street. Kids should not be waiting for or getting off a bus in the dark.

As for the no texting rule, good for you. I never had a job that allowed me to be on the phone all day, why should things be different now?

10. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Im sorry but I have to interject here when someone says nothing more dangerous than a teen texting and driving. Because NO ONE is a good driver when theyre texting and NO ONE is anymore dangerous than the next person. I'm guilty of it. but if my car strays its to the shoulder. I'm jsut sick of teenagers getting piss pounded by everyone, JUST because we havent had our licenses as long.

11. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

awesome point JTV. that's the first thing i said this morning. Shouldn't be waiting for the bus in the dark of night in the first place. i used to wait for the bus at 645am, and it was pitch dark many days in the winter.

12. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

Not trying to belittle your message about texting as it is very dangerous but seriously, as an adult - get a frickin' bluetooth for crying out loud. We do have the technology to communicate. When phone rings, push button on ear piece and talk. No need to pick phone up and scroll to read small letters on tiny screen, just talk in a normal voice and pass relevant information.

A kid actually has a semblance of an excuse as they may not have money to pay for minutes but we sure as hell do. I have three phones as I have two gigs and one of them requires two networks due to geographical coverage and all of them work off of a tiny bluetooth as well as my IPOD.

13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of districts no longer allow children to cross the street...the bus must turn around and point in the other direction to discharge.....mostly on country roads

14. Brian Young

I know what your saying and I have a BlueTooth but how would that work if someone's texting you? I agree 100% about waiting in the dark on a very busy road, there are too many other side streets they could have been picked up on. But to another response, there's no doubt teens get a bad rap but when probably 98% of them have cell in hand 24/7 it's just a matter of time before something happens.

15. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I have a friend that just last month was finally released from parole after killing a young girl waiting for a school bus. He was driving in foggy weather coming off a mountain. He never seen the girl and when he felt like he hit something he thought it was a deer. He didn't stop and later found out what happened. He spent 8 years in prison and 5 years on parole.

16. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Texting isn't the issue here, texting and driving is.

Personally, most of the guys I plow with prefer texting, it's cheaper, and doesn't require immediate attention. It's like leaving a message without teh hassle of calling, and then the other person retrieving it.

Often in loaders or skids the noise is too loud, texting works with a simple pause to read or reply, whereas an actual call may require the machine to be stopped, shutoff, then restarted.

17. Army Vet

Army Vet Member

I have to agree texting and driving is horrible! It kills!! There are so many bad habits we have. I agree teenagers get bagged about it more but it seems more prevalent in the younger sect. We are all guilty of it! We should all agree to not text and drive. There is a app that I believe that shuts off texting at speeds above 10mph.

18. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

That was Oprah's big thing ....Getting everybody to stop texting while driving. Found out my stepdaughter was sending around 11,000 texts a month including during school. Took it away, then when she got it back it was the same thing again. So guess what she no longer has? I just cringe at the thought of when it's her time to drive.

19. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Brian-Thank you for bringing up this topic. I feel for the families loss. We all should heed and stop texting when in motion. I have a policy in all company trucks/cars, fired if caught texting while in motion. I really don't like to even see people at stop lights reading-sending texts. But you can't stop stupid!

20. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

Can't imagine that being a problem as I use bluuetooth for most of the information exchanges and then, as agreed and discussed, might get a text with numbers on it like a release number or order of some kind that I don't need 'till I'm stopped anyhow. IN any case, I don't even know I have a text as I don't touch my phone from the second it's in gear to the moment I stop.

I do have a pal who texts me all the time. He used to ask why I didn't answer I explained that I don't touch my phone when driving and he could give me a call sometime. Now he calls so he doesn't have to wait half a day for me to get back to him.