1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plower question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by engine51, Feb 12, 2010.

1. engine51

engine51 Junior Member

My friend owns a landscaping business/ snow removal and has asked me for help with some of his small commercial and residential driveways.
    I run a blower and have been ever since my teens so I know very little about the snow removal business. I have been reading/ looking around on the site and have found some great info.
    What I'm stuck on is this, my friend can't supply me with a truck so I'm looking at getting a plow for my dd (perfect for residential driveways) 97 Ford Explorer, or I've been looking at a beater 100k miles 95 Ford F350 dually with a 8' Western plow for like $3.5k. If all goes well I will be plowing for him next year (and years to come), and the dually seems more of a good deal if I start to do more commercial properties. Just looking for some feedback from some of the pros to see what a good route would be. I'm open to all ideas/ constructive criticism :jester:
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

doing resi is going to be a PITA with a F350 and a dully on top:dizzy:

Stick to commercial with that truck.
  3. engine51

engine51 Junior Member

Makes sense :p
    Was thinking more long term and hadn't thought too much about how it would do currently.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the explorer with a sno-way with DP would be great for drives
    the 350 will be great for commercial lots
  5. engine51

engine51 Junior Member

I'm assuming the snoway is lighter than a Western or another type of blade?
    I'm concerned with the weight in the front, but the 6.8' snoway looks like it might do well for what I'm trying to do.
  6. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Had a SnowDogg MD 75 put on my Mountaineer and it is PERFECT for the truck... I had it installed for under $3500 with tax... Mountaineer / Exploder use same chassis. Different drive train. I'm AWD w/ V8... Stout setup for a smaller truck..
    I've plowed about ten drives and it seems to do a fine job on driveways. Still learning but I would not hesitate to buy a dogg again...