1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plower here

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 1993f-150rookie, Jan 21, 2005.

1. 1993f-150rookie

1993f-150rookie Junior Member

Hello yall
    I'm 17 and worked all summer to buy my first plow truck to use to plow a few driveways near my house. I'm tryin to figure out what the average price is that i should charge per driveway? Most of these people are family or freinds so i dont want to over charge them. They are good sized driveways too and i am not taking business away from anyone by plowing them because i have plowed them for the past 4 years with a farm tractor but rareley charged them because i did it for fun. I'm not tryin to make a killing either, just tryin to put gas in the truck and keep it running.
    Thanks for any tips or advice
    Dave

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Dave, the reason you haven't gotten an answer till now is that this type of question is nearly impossible to answer. There are so many factors to consider when someone asks "What should I charge?". Besides, "good sized" can mean almost anything - Maybe 30' and two car wide or two miles of private road.

If all you're trying to do is get experience and these are all "friends and family", why not just ask for $10 each or whatever they think is fair? Then start keeping track of how long they take, what quirks you run into and so on. In a year or so, you'll be ready to start giving legitimate bids/pricing. Ten dollars should be enough to put gas in your truck with a little left over. You can decide as you go if it's worth that to you and if not, why not.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Dave, welcome to plowsite!
    Prices vary so much its hard to give a concrete answer, my minimum is $15 per plow and it goes from there. If they are all friends and family, and you don't want to overcharge them then $15 is a good start in my opinion. Unless you feel that you need more to cover your costs, fuel etc. You will learn alot from plowing a few drives and your family+friends will be alot more understanding if you make a few mistakes. Come next year, you can decide how much more you want to take on. Some will call you a "lowballer" but so what theres is nothing with doing a few drives and just accepting what you need to cover your costs. Especially since you alredy do them anyways. They should understand on the money end, they are getting off cheap and you are gaining knowlage and expericence which you can use to move foward if you so desire.

Take *exceptional* care of your truck, and plow very carefully don't beat up the truck.
    Good Luck! :waving:

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO