1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plower here

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Get Plowed, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Get Plowed

Get Plowed Junior Member

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the information I have read here so far. Finally got my new truck Friday, 2003 f-250 ext cab, 4x4, 5.4L. Now looking at a plow, can't decide between Western or Boss. I think the wester is a little lighter. Most dealers are telling me to stick with the Standard Duty with my front axle rated at 4400, and installing timbrens. Just wondering what everyone's opinion on these 2 plows are. Which one should I choose. I sure do hope it snows now or else wife is gonna kill me.
    thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:

I don't think you can go wrong with either plow.I'd base my decision on whichever has the better dealer support in your area.

I'd go with a HD plow though,probably an 8 ft,as your F250 will carry it just fine.Adding a set of Timbrens will help it carry the weight.There are also bigger springs available if it sags too much.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

were at in central IL?

What plow depends on what you are going to do with it. V-plows are nice too depending. What dealer you looking to buy from?

So what are you going to be plowing? Comercial res just your driveway and some friends?

BTW Welcome :waving: And good luck with the wife ;)

4. Get Plowed

Get Plowed Junior Member

live in Bloomington. Can't decide on what to pursue, res. or comm., any opinions. Wouldn't mind doing one or 2 commericials but it weems like i could make more money doing driveways at $25 or so per plow. I don't want to get overloaded in my first year. Most dealers are telling me to stick with the standard duty plow, 7.5. but it seems like everyone of them tells me something different.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

7.5 ft is too small.A bigger plow is more productive,and lets you get closer to stuff without getting the truck in too close.

Do a search,you'll see many guys with the same truck using a lot bigger and\or heavier duty blades.

6. Labs n ducks

Labs n ducks Junior Member

Welcome:drinkup:

I say go with the heaver duty plow, if you take cake of your plow you will have it for a long time and could put it on a few different trucks, not to mention the fact that the dealers NEED to sell standard duty plows, they sell the heavy duty plows to the people who know what they are buying and don't mind spending a few extra dollars for it, dealers push the standard duty to anybody who dosn't know any better.IMO

7. ratlover

from IL

Koenig or how ever the hell you spell it over in Peoria has been good to work with for me.

Doing sub work at first is a good idea IMO since you get to learn the ropes so to speak while getting paid by someone else. That way you dont have to worry about making a bad name for yourself and you can learn some tricks of the trade so to speak when working for an expereinced plower. More than likely if you sub though it will be comercial.

If you already have experience plowing then its kinda a ford vrs chevy debate weather res is better than comercial.

8. Get Plowed

Get Plowed Junior Member

Yea, have talked to Koenig in Peoria, they seem to have the best price too. Never thought about the 7'6 not being able to get close to stuff, there again, have learned tons here. Will call them and get the price on the 8'
    thanks

9. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

first i must say I'm somewhat bias toward the boss plow i have the 8ft Super duty boss plow and I'm happy with it so that is what i would recommend but either brand would be good. i would definitely go with the heavy duty models usually their a little heaver but there also built for more use. if you are planning to go into business like you say i would definitely go the route of a hd plow.

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Also welcome to Plowsite!

As a fellow central Illinoisan, I will also reccomend Koenig Body. I do most of my business with them. They know me by name, I like that. Since last year, I started stopping in there more frequently and talking with Greg and Harry. They are both nice guys, but neither of them plow, and I don't think they ever have either, so they may only suggest what their book says, whereas in the field, we (us at plowsite) have found other combinations of plows, spreaders, trucks and other equipment that work more productively.

That said, I want to reccomend that you check out the Western Pro Plus if you decide to go with commercial plowing, it is really built to take the abuse. If you choose to go the route of residential, I think a regular Pro plow would be perfect. You might also consider a back plow like snowman as well! Harry was talking bout Fisher on Friday when I was down there, I'm going to look more into them for my next plow, they look and sound pretty stout.

The dealer support for Western seems to be very good around here, that's another huge plus, infact, I think the plow is only as good as the dealer support is. Boss, I'm not sure about, closest dealer to me is Champaign, which is closer to you than it is to me.

Good luck on the plow purchase!! It's not in season yet, but it will snow, and whenit does, your wife will be pretty happy! payup

11. Get Plowed

Get Plowed Junior Member

Thanks Snowybowtie, I have talked to Greg, seemed very nice. Will probably go with the Western, now need to decide on the 7.5 or 8. Leaning toward the 8 though. Gonna stop by there on Wed. morning and order one.
    thanks

12. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Go with the 8'. You won't regret it.

13. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

8' for sure. You have an F250, with an extended cab, the 7.5' is definitely too small, go with the 8' plow. Its your truck and your money, but I think you should listen to us on this one. :D Welcome to PlowSite by the way! Let us know what you decide to order and good luck! Mike :waving:

14. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

5.4 gas? GET AN 8-1/2... no question. Put 6000 or even 5200 springs on it and call 'er square. Lotsa diesel guys are puting on the 6000s, you could get their take-offs and have plenty of capacity for an 8-1/2. You won't be sorry.

15. Get Plowed

Get Plowed Junior Member

I plan on putting timbren's on it already, isn't it much more expensive to put other springs on it?

16. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I *think* that super-duty timbrens are about $200, but maybe that's just the 350s. I haven't looked too far into it. With 850# of ballast in a crew diesel, my 8-1/2 Pro-Plus only pulls the front down about 1.5". I already have 6000# springs (aka X-Code springs). I don't think I'm going to use timbrens. I like the adjustability of air bags and don't mind having one more thing to play around with, so if I do anything, that'll probably be it. I can't imagine it being too expensive to buy someone else's semi-used springs.

Get as much information as you can, then make a decision that best fits you, your truck, and your business.

17. ratlover

from IL

Greg Keys is pretty cool, I have been dealing with him.....that reminds me....I owe him some money and he owes me a box.

Keonig can get Boss I believe but they dont stock em or really push em.

18. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

I just put timbrens on my F250. They cost me $155.71 including shipping.
    Bill

19. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

From one new guy to another.... Welcome!! :waving:

I've been lurking around these parts for a while and the amount of info is staggering!! Thanks to everyone!!

As far as your 250... My "new" baby is a '02 F250 Supercab PSD. I going with the 6000# (X-Code) springs. Not sure yet as to the result yet, but my stocker springs (high 4000# rating) are sagging a bit just from the motor. With the addition of the new plow (Western 8' Pro Poly Ultra) I'll bet my front end will be in the weeds so to speak. Picking the truck up today from the plow install, with the stock springs still in. If you'd like, I can get a few measurements for you for comparison purposes.... Tomorrow is slated for the spring install. I'll post results from that as well...

Price wise, the Timbrens will be a less expensive. Less than $200. I think I paid $250 to $300 for the springs and new u-bolts.

It's only my opinion (be nice guys!!!) but Timbrens, although widely used and very effective, seem like a "band-aid" to me. Shouldn't your load be held up by the springs and not by a couple of rubber donuts? I'm NOT slamming Timbrens, I just feel springs are a better way to go. If I'm off on this, please, could someone shead some light on this for me?

Dan (aka: Moosehunter)

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Timbrens can be used as a band-aid fix,but they do a lot more.I always recomend they be tried first,as they are cheap (less than $150.00) and work very well.They are a load "booster",and do not carry all the weight,just help support it.They are also progressive,so they don't affect ride that much,but get stiffer when the suspension compresses to help prevent bottoming and keep the front end geometry correct.

When piling or stacking snow,the weight put on the front end is way more than even the heaviest springs are rated for,so the Timbrens do a great job at keeping the front end up.They also tend to spread out the load to a different area on the axle and frame on some trucks.

I have the heaviest springs availabe on my truck,yet still use the Timbrens.The help the springs and front end components last much longer.If you take a look at a lot of heavy trucks,they use them as well,and they don't use them as a band aid.

The springs should still be the main component supporting the weight of the truck and plow,and the Timbrens only come into effect when needed.

Do a search,and you'll find many happy Timbren users here.