1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by d4c50, Oct 28, 2008.

1. d4c50

d4c50 Junior Member
    from ohio

Just heard about this site last week and have been reading things over for awhile, Very Cool site. Now my question for you guys, I need to buy a new plow pretty quick here before snow season hits me in the rear. I have used a Meyer ST90 with a E47 pump for 30 years now and it still works good but the Chevy has the frame rusted out so bad that I don't want to get her on the road any more for safety reasons, I have a 2000 Ford F250 S/D that I bought new with the diesel and snow plow prep package. Now I really don't read much about anyone using Meyer Plows on this site. Is there a reason? I've been looking at the new Lot Pro with the E58 pump. I have a Meyer & Boss dealer 20 miles from me and while getting a quote from him he said that he sold Meyer 4 to 1 over Boss.As you can tell it has been many years since I've looked at anything new plow wise. Really like the looks of the V plow but is it any better than a Angle plow with wings ? I like things simple and strong, They just seem to last longer. Please no brand bashing just your thoughts on what seems to hold up the best now.
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i think what it comes down to is part's availability and dealer service ,and what you are used to .and what's heavy in your area i like boss Meyer and western is pretty weak in my area ,that's what is being pushed hard know. i like the speed of operation ,and beefyness . they are what i am used to.:waving:
  3. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Hey welcome here buddy. First off, what type of plowing you looking to do...lots, drives or both?? Just a bit more info on what type of use you are going to be using your set up for and you will get a ton of replies. I myself wouldn't plow again without a V plow. You get the best of both worlds with a V. As for what brand, what dealer is nearest you with the best service plays a big part in my mind. I have never owner a meyer plow but there are lots here that have that can comment. Good luck!
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

popular in my area
    parts are easy to come by
    they are made somewhat locally
    am used to it.
    seems very durable.
    i like a trip edge over a full trip

i second getting a v and think boss, snoway, and blizzard all make good plows.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Both Meyer and Boss make good plows and have been for a long time now. Both have there own strengths and weakness'. Many brands are regional where one make will far outsell another make, go into boss country and they out sell meyers 4 to 1. I have installed and serviced pretty much every brand and make and have found things i liked and disliked about every brand.

The other guys will tell you "buy only this plow" but it comes down to what type of blade will work for you, what type of mounting system, lighting, controls do you like, along with dealer reputation, dealer customer support and service and the big one PRICE.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Boss and the direct lift system is far superior to the recent meyer offerings. Installation, durability and snow moving ability, Boss is the choice over Meyer hands down in my opinion.

Vees are more efficient then straight blades by 30%
  7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have used a Hinker for the last 8 yrs. I love the plow and haven't had very many problems with it, I'm buying a new plow and selling mine to a guy that is going to sub for me. The plow is still in great working order, but the dealer is an ***. The hook up is one of the easiest on the market, but my next plow WON"T be a Hiniker! How can you be one of the biggest distributors in my market (about 200k people) and not have things like a hose (all straight blades use the same hose in Hinikers line along with a couple other plows) a 8' cutting blade (most popular size) a solenoid (all hiniker plows use the same one) in stock?? Plus, when you order something in, the shipping and handling add up to about 30% of the actual price of the part. A good plow with a good dealer is worth more than a great plow and a sh*tty dealer. Just my $.02
  8. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i would never run a meyer, hear way too many horror stories. my boss vee works awesome and i love having the versatility of the vee plow.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I like the Sno-Way V. The DP is nice to have for drives. But between Boss and Meyer. Boss hands down.
  10. d4c50

d4c50 Junior Member
    from ohio

New Plows

Thanks for the info.I talked to another dealer today who is 80 miles from me and he quoted me a Boss for $900.00 less than the Meyer Lot Pro. His price for the 8'2'' V plow is the same as the local guys Lot pro. I have had such great service and life out of my Meyer Plow I almost hate to change. But as I said in my first post it has been many years since I have really looked at anything new. I checked into mounts to use my old blade and hook it onto the Ford and I would have half of the cost of a new setup just in mounts. I have plowed for the same company for 37 years now and they will not deal with equipment break downs. I don't do many driveways as this lot takes 110% effort. Over 2'' I call in a couple of subs one who has been helping me for 23 years now and over 4'' I also bring in my loader/backhoe to get the lot cleared before 7 AM. Everything has to be plowed to the ends of the lots as they don't want anything stacked on the lot. What to do,What to do? With the price difference The Boss is starting to look interesting.
    Thanks Guys,
  11. 01SMOKINSD

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

Not sure where you at in Ohio, but a friend and I just bought 2 new Meyer's X-press mount 8' commercial plow. Bought it from Chucks Custom Truck and Trailers in Medina, Ohio. Paid $3700 and change installed. I couldnt believe how much different the A-frame and truck mounts are for this plow compared to the standard plows. I looked at Western, Hiniker, Sno Dogg and a few others. This is by far the easiest of any plow to mount, and built just as heavy as any of the other ones out there. I know not too many people use Meyers anymore, but they have been in business for almost 40 years. Not to many "crappy" manufactures could last that long. Just my .02 worth but hope it helps.
  12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you want simple get a Meyer if you want strong get a Boss. If I was you I would get a Boss.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So what is your favorite aspect of the Boss, the simple hook up, the speed of the hydraulics, the durability, it's simplistic wiring, the excellent stacking ability, the direct lift system or the second only to Snoway;) engineering?
  14. d4c50

d4c50 Junior Member
    from ohio

After hearing what most of you thought about the Boss plow I signed a P/O for a 8'2'' V plow and there going to install it next Thursday. The Boss website called for a 7'6'' but the dealer said everyone uses the 8'2''. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't want to over load the front axle on this truck. There is $100.00 difference between the two. I have time to change my mind on this if need be. Also what do you Boss users buy for spare parts to carry with you?. I always kept enough parts for my Meyer plow to do a rebuild in the middle of the nite if I had to. This dealer is a couple of hrs away from me so I want to get anything I may need for a breakdown while I'am there.
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 8.2 is a fine choice as long as it's not a crew cab long bed. Other wise you'll want a 9.2 or a set of wings...or both. :D

Most common items to carry for a Boss vee specifically are:

1) Wing spring and eye bolt (or two)
    2) Extra wing hose
    3) Valve coil
    4) Underhood solenoid
    5) Qt of fluid

Of course the last two on the list should pertain to any plow.