1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ghollenberger, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ghollenberger

ghollenberger Junior Member

I am looking to expand my landscaping business this coming year and adding snow removal. I am putting the plow on my 2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4 ext cab. What plow/plow manufacturer would you recommend. Who has the best plow for the money? When is the best time of the year to purchase a new plow. Anyone in Pittsburgh know a good dealer? Also, my dad has an older meyer plow on his 1989 GMC, would i be able to use that plow and purchase new mounting hardware? Thanks in advance!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Basically, all plows are good for what they were intended. Some have hydraulics; some don't. Then there are plows with wings and plows that form a "V" for more efficiency (which costs more) and other that have hydraulic wings to form a bigger containment area. There are plows that have the top fold over for more efficient backblading and others that attach to the rear of the vehicle. There are plows that attach to the side of your vehicle to plow further to the side. There are plows which attach to the bumper and others which attach to a seperate mount which is attached to the frame. There are plows which cost as little as $1,000 brand new and others that cost $6,000 (and higher).

One question - what size is your truck?

re: the old plow - maybe if you could find a mount to fit you truck. What size is the plow?

3. ghollenberger

ghollenberger Junior Member

I believe the old plow is 7'6". My truck is a 2006 chevy 1500 ext cab, 5.3 liter v8, 4x4 z71.

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

This may help you out. I have Chevy 1500 ext cab, 5.3 v8 4x4 Z71 also (mine is a little older)

Click to seehttp:

//www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=59469

I have a Boss 7'6" Super Duty. I bought it used for $2400 with everyting I needed but the bolt. I found it on ebay and drove to get it.

It had been on a Ford but the plow dealer swapped out used mount for used mount at no charge.

I added Timbrens, a rubberized support for the front end and I must say they were the best investment of the whole deal
    Welcome to Plowsite
    Let me know if you have ??'s:salute:

5. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

personally i like the snoway plows but every one is gonna have their own opinion it hooks up the quickest and is the easiest one to maintain

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you do a search on plows or read through the forums you will find all the info you want on different brands of plows.

7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

7'6" fisher is what i would recomend.

8. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

i agree that would be the your best betwesport

9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Check out Sno-Way.

http://www.snoway.com

Excellent plows backed with an industry leading 5 year structural warranty. Optional hydraulic down pressure system and wireless controls.

10. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

fischer? are they still around :confused: haha

11. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Like said above, everyone has there own opinion. But I feel that you can't beat the Western Ultra Mount system. I'm not slamming ANY brand but like the boss, it has a switch (if I recall) that puts the plow on for you. If that switch burns out at 3 AM your screwed. I really haven't Looked at any brand really besides western,fisher,meyers, and little boss's. The fisher system is OK I guess (there also VERY heavy). The meyer system, has a switch that puts the plow on to doesn't it? Again if that switch breaks or burns out what are you going to do at 3AM? I'm not slamming any brands so please don't take it that way.

12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

If you are looking to buy new, zoresco in wexford deals most of the major plow brands

13. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Find a dealer somewhere near you, and see what they carry.

Each brand has it's various pros and cons. I like the way mine is set-up, but you won't find a setup like mine anymore (the pumps are belt-run, mounted on the engine. It has two bolts w/ hitch-pins that attachs it to a mount on the underside of the truck. Only the blade and blade harness come off the truck).

As for size, with that truck, I'd say a 7'6" would be good. 8' would probably be pushing the limits. Shop around, talk to people (a dealer would probably be best) in your area that are knowledgeable in the subject.