1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by larryhd, Jan 9, 2008.

1. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

Hi i'm looking at getting a new plow It will be the blizzard 810 or 860 speedwing What one would work best on a 05 chevy 2500hd reg cab I do alot
    off parking lots any help would be helpful thanks
  2. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I just bought a new 860 speedwing for my 1996 GMC 2500 HD. I chose the SW after looking at both plows because I believe in the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Son) theory. The 810 has alot more hydraulic hoses, solenoids, valves, etc. to go wrong and the SW will do 95% of what the 810 will do. I have plowed with pro wings for the last 11 years and anytime you can control the trailoff.... you win. Hope this helps you to decide,
  3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I would not compare the 2 honestly, no substitute for 10' wide plowing lots. Bigger is better IMO.
    Honestly I would hang an 8611 Lopro on that truck.
    As far as the extra stuff on a power plow going wrong they wont stop you from plowing at 8' if something does (doesnt happen often) go wrong. Blow a hose on a left wing, top off your fluid and dont touch that wing. Lost a wing hose this season on my new 99-810. Plowed 2 events still at 9' :D Fixed er up and were back at 10' Yippee payup
  4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have had both plows and they are both great in parking lots. I first had an 810 and it was great but when I got my new truck the SW. was new on the market. I decided to try the 860 SW.and am very happy so far. I use it incondos,small comercial ,and streets . It does a great job at this for me. My 810 was good but I am one of the few that had problems. So when I saw the SW. it caught my eye. If you don't need to angle your load of snow in the scoop position the SW. could work for you. If your just plowing lots, wind rowing it's just as good - a couple inches. Both plows are with in 100lbs. or so of each other ,and aorund here a few hundred in price. Either way both plows are a great choice and would work for you. Good Luck !!!!
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have both a SW and an 810, I and even have a low pro for a back up.
    For the money and ease of use, along with over 200 lbs of weight savings. The SW is my choice for that truck. I even have our SW on an 06 250 HD. Reg cab.
    You wont regret the SW.
  6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Bet you were glad for the ES advantage on that line change.

I vote for 10 feet as well, though I haven't ran a speedwing.
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Amen to that ! Took me 25 minutes, taking my time to pull the wing. Im no crackerjack mechanic, but I do have a bit of experience turning wrenchs. It was nice to not have to panic and change it right now when it let loose. The worst part is droping the hoses inside the box, but that wasnt that bad either. That Erie mod (manifold flip) alone saved me alot of pain and suffering, and made a dealer repair into a grab a beer and change the wing hose. :D
  8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

One thing I do for the wing hoses is use a union and thread the new hose to the old hose, and use the old hose to thread into the slide box, and make the loop.