1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wyatherb, Dec 20, 2007.

1. wyatherb

wyatherb Junior Member

I have a new fisher plow and was told to leave the cutting edge off to wear down the trip edge at least a half inch before putting on the cutting edge. any comments / suggestions?
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Isnt the cutting edge and trip edge the same thing?
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

most i have seen you wear down the backer bar a certain amount then bolt a cutting edge on .
  4. I'm also fairly new to this game, but I don't see how it could be any benefit to allow your expensive trip edge to wear down before adding a replaceable cutting edge. I've put some serious wear on my brand new cutting edge in two storms while plowing for the town. I wouldn't want to wear away the more expensive parts of the plow that quickly.
  5. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I would say that if you are working for the town it wouldnt really matter. I have always used a new plow for a season before installing an edge I guess it scrapes better. If I was plowing roads I would install an edge right away.
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Mybe he meant to leave off the wear pads, This would allow the cutting edge to get a proper angle ground into it.