1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fire4755, Apr 14, 2011.

1. fire4755

fire4755 Junior Member

Ok so I just bought a new truck pesonally and the guy threw in his plow with it. I wasnt planning on getting a plow until this happened but I figure now I might as well make some money with it. What all do I need to do legally to plow a few driveways I mean like insurance, tax, and starting a buisness wise because i dont want to start a legal buisness if i dont have to. Thanks and for the record its a 95 Bronco 5.0L V8 with a 7.5' Meyer plow.:help: I forgot to add I have plowed before because I work on a farm I just didn't do it often or off of the farm.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Well before you state you don't want to open a legit business you should research some things first. Like what happens if someone slips and falls on a driveway I plowed if I don't have insurance. What happens when I drive through a garage door, or back over a person walking on the sidewalk. What happens if I get caught makeing money and not paying taxes. There are alot of people that don't do things the right way, and they are the people everyone on here complains about. Come in and steal a few jobs away from the guys that are paying insurance, taxes, workers comp, and everything else that is involved with a legit business. It's a gamble if you don't do it right, and it's a gamble if you do it the right way. In my opinion doing it right is the reason I am sucessful. I have insurance, I have workers comp, I pay taxes, and I charge accordingly for it. My customers also appreciate the fact that I do the things listed above as well.

3. fire4755

fire4755 Junior Member

Sorry I must have said it wrong I know I need to have plow and liability insurance my question is can I get that as a person or do I need to legally make a business such as an llc or sole proprieter? And if I don't need to make it a business how would I do the taxes as I am not trying to slide under the table I want it to be legitimate and all legal. And trust me I have done research I know all about law suits being that I am a firefighter/emt and have been called to court to testify before. Thanks

4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I believe you can get commercial insurance without making a business. You will need commercial insurance if you want to plow other peoples driveways. Non-commercial insurance will probably just cover you in your own driveway. I would just give your ins. company a call.

5. KBY Landscaping

KBY Landscaping Junior Member

What type of insurance do we need? Just commercial or is there anything else we need like General Liability?