1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowingkid35, Jan 27, 2011.

1. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

I just bought a 7.5 ft western plow for my 1996 ford f250, the mounts for the plow are off of a 1989 f250, is there anyway that i could make this work without buying a new mount?? I'm pretty good at fabricating stuff to make it fit so pictures or advice would be appreciated. Thanks- Carlen Snow Removal

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I am a welder by trade anything can be made. However when you factor in your time and materials I think sometimes you are just better off buying the right part. Especially when you need it to work perfect right away. It will definetly suck at 2 in the morning somethign breaks on it, and back to the drawing board. Don't let me discourage you either. If you think you can good luck, and lets see the pics when you are done!

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree with Tony, I too am a welder and a Western factory trained installer. If you time is worth anything just buy the right mount. However, if you have more time than money have a look at this diagram of the correct mount.

http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/64574.01_010109.pdf

If you are really handy enough to build this then just fabricate the right one from scratch as per this diagram. Good luck. Just keep in mind that if you build it and it breaks & kills someone or smashes a car you are liable. If you buy the Western then you ass in not in the sling..... Food for thought.

4. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

This right here would be reason enough not to fab it yourself. your insurance company would tell you to take a hike if they find out you attached a non DOT approved unit to your truck. In the even of a death, you'de be looking at about a million dollar law suit to start, unless you have commercial insurance, your personal will not come close to that. but hey, to each his own, just my $.02

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If I had to pay for the insurance they want for my service truck I could replace it every four years with the money I would pay for liability premiums! It all comes down to knowing your own skill. If you know that you can do as good or better than the factory engineers then you shouldn't worry. The problem is many handy people don't realize what they don't know. When i took my welding courses to get the Canadian red seal ticket I learned so many things that I would have never known otherwise. At my shop we built huge highway scrappers, front plows and wings too. If one of my welds breaks people die, either it's done right or ist's simply not done. There is no "good enough"

6. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

I have to agree with you on buyin the mount verses fabin one my self . But Have you seen some of Weld jobs comin from You know who?????? HHMMMMM after seen some of the pic's in the thread of guys with new plows only a day or to old askin on here should this be happening????? Just kindda make you wonder.