1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by carpenter0090, Dec 10, 2010.

1. carpenter0090

carpenter0090 Junior Member

Hey guys. Just looking for your input here. I am preparing to buy my first plow. I have a 2006 dodge ram 2500 quad cab with a short bed and a deisel. Im not really sure what type of plow to get. I guess to start I will be doing mainly drive ways and residents. I would like to pick up some lots in the coming years but nothing to hard core. I was looking at the boss 8' super duty plow. Its about 120 pounds lighter than the meyer lot pro. So I thought it would be less work on the truck. Or should I go with the standard duty plow? Should I get a 7'6'' rather than the 8? I have yet to look at the westerns. any input on size/manufacture would be great.ussmileyflag

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you should get an 8'6" but 8' is fine, don't get a 7'6 because it won't clear the wheel wells when it's angled.
    Boss is a good plow.
    I'm sure others will chime in.

3. 8CATFISH

8CATFISH Junior Member
    from OHIO

I would get a 7'6" with pro wings reason being i plow with a meyer classic 7'6" and it works well for drives but is almost to tight on some single wide drives. I do a few smaller to medium size plazas and it works good for those but with pro wings i think it would be just as good or better than a 8 foot plow and you can still remove them if you need to. Well thats my opinion anyway. Let it snow let it snow let it snow

4. Gibsonk

Gibsonk Junior Member

Just bought the Western Pro Plus 8' and love it so far. don't get the 7'6. Buddys got on one on a 1/2 ton and he's not happy with it.

5. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

get the 8'0 plow!!!! I have a meyer 7.6" and I cant keep up with my buddies 8' western when we do parking lots (he has a 02 quad cab short bed cummins)

If you have the extra cash buy a 8'2" boss V plow! you will be a lot happier when it comes to parking lots and other driveways that when you pile the snow the higher the better....

Ian

6. carpenter0090

Maybe catfish is on to something with the wings. I would be able to do the smaller drive ways and if I pick up a couple lots I can slap them on.

I see a lot of the plows require ballest in the back of the truck. On long Island I would expect to have the plow on for a couple days and then take it off untill the next snow fall. We really only ge about 6 plowable snows a year. So the ballest thing may be a pain in the but because I am a general contractor and need the bed of the truck to haul supplys to job sites. Any words of wisdow? Should I go with like a boss standard duty plow vrs the super duty, Or a meyer drive pro vrs lot pro, or western mid weight vrs pro..

7. BossPlow2010

How you going to do smaller drives with a truck that big, get a jeep if you want to do small drives.

8. carpenter0090

Most drive ways here are straight. Between 30 and 50 feet. Some larger. So basically pull up back pull it to the street and then push it off to the side. It dosent pay to buy a whole nother truck for plowing here. Its just kind of a bonus if you have a truck and a plow you can make a couple extra bucks when it comes down.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

8 ft Super Duty from BOSS. You can add the wings for lots. I have never seen a real driveway that was not at least 8' wide.
    Yes a Jeep or S10 Blazer would be better suited to do small drives you can still get by very well with that truck. If you plan on doing lots later you will be happy you have such a truck.

Get some Timbrens and 3500 front springs for it.

10. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

8' or bigger for sure!

11. carpenter0090

I have Kore 3 inch leveling springs for the front. They are much stiffer than the stock. The boss dealer told me not to do the timbren told me not to bother said the ride will be bad. not worth it.

12. BossPlow2010

Why not get an 8'2 v, then everyone is happy! Even the plow dealer is happy because you just gave him 5200$.

13. carpenter0090

The Boss 8' super duty is going to run me 4850 installed plus tax about 5300 total. It dosent pay to over invest.

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the 8' Boss.

15. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

an 8 ft will be perfect for that truck