1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow?will it scrape my steep driveway ent,

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jerrywane, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

04 f 350,going toward an 8.5 ' western straight blade.....My driveway is 300" and the first 30' of it is asphalt.Me thinks it could scrape the pavement and mess up my whole new buss,before getting started.Does any one else have a steep grade and does your plow scrape the S.O.B......some of my trailers do drag azz @ the out and not so much@ the return home trip.Are there spec sheets on the clearenses,length of plow atttached,highest lift point....also may be a drag on a tailgate spreader.(pun intended)...any advise would be awesum.I dont want to stub my toe the first time bringing her home / major bummer!:confused:

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Most plow mounts have about the same clearance at the hinge pins when the plow is on the ground. The secret to maintaining that clearance is ballast. Most plows will reduce your approach angles.The clearance at the hinge pins on most plows is around 8/9".

3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Ah, thats what I figured. Talking to one of them ford boys with the same plow and truck will get you the best answer. No, not all plows have the same clearance and even alike plows can have different clearances on different trucks.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not if properly installed, there is a specific height for mounting components. If the A frame is setting correctly it should be level with the ground. this is adjusted by the height of the mount in most cases, Curtis is a unusual case, they adjust for height on the plow side allowing them to have more clearance particularly when the plow is not mounted.

5. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

plow sticks out too much???????

the dang plow sticks out 4-5' and i am affraid to buy the thing unless i redo my entrance to the driveway...major concern''''''''''need to find a guy in the middle of July with his plow on a f 350 and buy him a beer or two to come over too lookiesee .......................... wish me luck:laughing:

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It would not be the plow wear edge I would worry about. They rarely hit the ground, it would be the rear most edges of the A frame. That is typically the lowest point of the unit.

7. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

trip edge

I figured out that if the front edge hit it would just trip....will have plenty of ballest,maybe ill get a few fat buddys to sit on the hood and take em for a ride?Scary putttig out this kind of money and not sure if i can get it up my driveway.......butt there are other ways to skin a cat thanx:salute:

8. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

I really hate to play the devils advocate here, but you are talking perfect world scenarios. I've yet to ever have a perfect scenario. Just as an example. four or five years ago, we had two brand new Fisher MM2 extreme V's installed by a dealer. One on a 06 GMC 3/4 ton and one on a 07 Ford 3/4 ton. Identical plows, similar trucks by design. We had one drive to keep open that was very steep. Every time we took the GM up, it would rub hard. The Ford just scraped the cutting edge a bit. Plows were set correctly and matched because we checked. But anyways, this doesnt really pertain to the OP so thats all I've got. Just playing the other side for a bit Thumbs Up. If he's really concerned, he should test it with the same model truck and plow if possible. Just my humble opinion.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Chevy's usually have notably softer front ends then then fords. I won't argue that different trucks would not perform the same. It's the same with drivers, some will and some won't.

I agree the idea of having someone with a similar unit test run his drive would be the most best.

10. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

same as a v plow clearence?

I am thinking about a new Boss 8.6 v plow now and wonder if the clearences are the same if they are straight or in a v position......never used a v blade before,so look over my ignorence and pecfect speling tooo

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

As well as the approach angles being different depending on the distance from the axle to the front of the frame/plow mount/etc.

I agree, best to find someone with the same setup do a test run up the drive. The local dealer would be a good place to start. Thumbs Up

12. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Its been my personal experience that Boss plows have the lowest mount clearances when compared to fisher and blizzard. Your clearances while raised are drastically less when in V mode as the two lower outer corners ride closer to the ground.