1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow Vehicle!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PJB, Dec 5, 2004.

1. PJB

PJB Junior Member

Just got my Blizzard 800 installed on my new vehicle. I was worried that the plow might be a little heavy but my dealer said I didn't even need timbrens.

The front only settles 10 to 11 inches when I lift the plow and the tires bulge a little, but that just gives more traction dosn't it? With front wheel drive and IFS I only had to add 1000 lbs of concrete poured into the back seat to even things out. I get my wife to sit in the back seat to help keep the rear on the pavement, but that's only if I need to do a lot of backdragging.

The 8ft. blade gives lots of side clearance and the turning radius is fantastic.

Just wanted to know if you guys think timbrens would help with 10 inch drop when I lift the plow.

newplow-1.jpg

newplow-2.jpg

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Looks like a great and effective setup PJB! Good luck with it. With regard to the Timbrens, doesn't look like you'll need them, and you can also take the shoes off the blade and use them for extra ballast as well. With the 10-11 inches of drop, you won't need to scrape as much since the chasis will certainly clean up anything that the blade wasn't able to scrape. Much more effective imo, since you'll only have to make one pass instead of multiples. This should cut your time by 400%. :D :D :D

3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I would get the timbrens! Then it should only sag 9-10" :drinkup:

4. osbo68

osbo68 Member

Thanx PJB I needed the laugh! :D

5. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Ummmm lets see,,,

Its a nice lookin vehicle you got there---looks more than capable of pushing at least a foot of wet snow. You're correct when you say the front end drop will give you better traction...along with the flatter tires of course!

With that wheelbase, I think you're right, .....you're gonna need some ballast in the back. I don't know your wife (if you post a pic it would help), but I think she should lay flat across the back seat to even out the weight.

Not sure if you need more weight without seeing her pic though.

I don't think you need suspension support though. I'd say just mount a roller in both front wheel wells and when the tires squish, they can just ride along the rollers. Should be OK!

The only thing is that you should probably stick to small parking lots. Taking advantage of the short wheelbase and the big plow, I think you can make a killing on driveways.

Are you available to sub???? payup

6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

What about bigger tires? That should help on the height. :redbounce :waving:

7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I do not want to sound like a downer but where to you think the concrete will go in a wreck your fault or not?

8. PJB

PJB Junior Member

We anchored the concrete to the rear axle with 3/8 inch braided steel cable. Both sides and I solved the tire squishing problem by pumping the tires to 120 psi.

Sag is now only 4" after Dave suggested I add timbrens and crank up the stab. bar 32 turns.

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you could get some plate steel and weld the front end up solid, my uncles cousins brothers friend did this with his chevy. said it rode like a caddy. i wouldnt worry about the concrete moving around, because since my friends never does, and he never has problems it means you wont.
    check into getting a sun roof so when you lift the blade you can pop your head out to see. :)

10. PJB

PJB Junior Member

Here's a new picture with the blade lifted after the latest mods. Hardly notice any front end sag.

After reading a few of the posts here about vehicle warranty I checked my owners manual and it dosn't say anything about plowing with the vehicle, so I guess they can't say anything if I break something having not excluded plowing in their documentation.

newplow-3.jpg

11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

That looks good! LOL

12. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Mind if I post these all over the internet? You could be the second biggest idiot, right behind the guy at Home Depot with the ton of plywood on his roof.;)

13. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

got a link to the home depot guy??? I need a laugh! :bluebounc

14. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  15. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Here ya go.Its a little blurry after a quick compress and resize.

home depot car.jpg

16. intlco

intlco Senior Member

This is by far the most stupid wanna be plow vehicle I've seen in my life.
    It's no wonder we have so many plow dealers asking what we want to install too, cause no dealer out here would allow a plow to be put on a car.

I see a future lawsuit coming with a stunt like that. Whatever dealer did that outta loose their business license, if they even have one?

And then you guys wonder why our snowplow liability insurance keeps going up. It's because of the stupid people like this guy.

Next time someone buys a plow and it READS, DON'T MOUNT ON CARS!
    You'll all know why it says this.

17. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

intlco...........r u serious? all jokes aside yo do know the photo is doctored right with the car plow?

On a serious note, I DID SEE a GMC 4x4 van last year with a plexiglass blade on it (forget who makes those, snoway?) and it was pushing snow real good. Dont know about the 4" of ground clearance he had, but he was moving snow.......

18. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

:D ROFLMAO

19. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i like the plows they sell at Lowes for minivans.

20. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Not only that, he forgot to install the pins.... geez. It might fall off.

coolnewplow-2.jpg