1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by traviswalker007, Sep 29, 2009.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Hey guys, just bought this truck yesterday from a small municipality, its a 1993 International DT 4600 with 32,000 miles and 5500hrs. Complete bonell 11ft road plow and salt spreader. All the black u see on the dump box is rhino lining including the bed. I payed 11k for the truck and i was hoping for some feed back...runs and drives like new, have all the maint records from the municipality as well...

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nice. Should make quick work of that McDonald's lot!

3. Matt10486

Matt10486 Member

Nice truck... Best of luck to you!

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Nice clean setup.
    How does that salter work. You dump the bed into the trough and it spins it out?

5. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

nice truck I would love to find a handfull of those if anyone has any leads please let me know I do not even need the tilt spreader since we need to use VBoxes

again great truck wish everyone all the best just pass a few storms this way

6. traviswalker007

truck

Thanks, I hope this thing does a good job, i can spread gravel, sand, salt, or whatever. plow only takes like 5 min to drop...runs really good but everything vibrates in the cab,,,,typical of internationls i guess...but it is verry good condition, i hope i didnt over pay for it...

7. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you got yourself a pretty sweet deal there.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Nice score!

The spreader has an auger that moves the material to the spinner on the driver's side (usually). Drops through a hole and away it goes.

I have a stainless steel model with 2 augers, grinds up the chunks nicely.

TopDog, you state you HAVE to use V-boxes, why?

Never have to shovel out a frozen load of salt in a V-box.

9. traviswalker007

truck

well i did find that Bonell plows and salters are extremely expensive, but i was told they are top of the line for road plow trucks..the municipality had 3 brand new replacement trucks with the Bonell set ups...OMG they were the best things i have ever seen..they say the plow and salter set up was 40K alone..

10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Somebody's pulling your chain....
    40K is more like an upfit from a cab and chasis...dump box, central hydro's, strobes, plow, salter,etc.
    My muni has 3 trucks set up by Bonnell and we like them pretty good. I prefer a Monroe set-up, but to each his own.
    As far as yours....very clean looking, looks like whovever it was kept it up well.
    What type of salter control? Is it manual or computer?
    Those internationals (4900's) in those years are almost bullet proof.
    One warning...the oil pans are about as thick as a Pepsi can. We undercoat ours when they are new and scrape and re-apply every fall. Just FYI as a new pan is over $400.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you can turn the idle up just a bit it might cut back on the vibration.

12. traviswalker007

thanks

Thanks for the info...ill try the idle thing, i just hope this last as its our first big dump truck and i dont know much about them, I have seen alot of these on the road...so they must be pretty good. has manuel controls..all there trucks have them, they said the computer set ups are a lot of headaches..

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

13. traviswalker007

truck

One more thing, i hope its not to big for large parking lots, as im not too sure of the turning radious. I tried some topkicks and fords but they dont turn to well plus when u raise the plow the front end drops quite a bit as with this thing u cant even see it move when u raise the plow..its like a tank...

14. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

congrats
    amazing how the county/city/state gets rid of them and people who actually have to make a profit snap them up and run them for 100's of 1000's of miles more.
    hmmmmmmm, you don't think they are wasting taxpayer money do you?:mad:

One, that's not a big dump truck. :p
    Two, anything bigger than cars, anytime something goes wrong, it's at least $500.
    Just learn to expect it. $500. payup
    Three, And stuff always goes wrong. (at least until you really get it sorted out) Drive it around at least 500 miles BEFORE the season starts so you can figure out what isn't working right and get it fixed.

15. TRKling

TRKling Member

The turning radius on that year of truck in plowing stinks. They were not designed for doing lots of turning, but pushing on straight of ways.

Put five ton of salt in that truck and its an animal. Depth wont matter!

Looking at the pictures, be sure to check that spinner. It looks bent down to the left. :)

16. traviswalker007

truck

I noticed that...that suks!!! i need like a football field to turn around in lol..but man that thing will pull a 747..holly cow. I had a full load of gravel and went down a muddy road and never got stuck..heck the tires didnt even spin...i am very impressed. I did have to replace the floor pan on the drivers side had a hole in it from the salt tracking in and out, but no probs...had a new one fabed up and poped it in..cant wait for snow

17. JOEC

JOEC Member

Looks like the truck came from rosemont. They do a great job. They have enough money to maintain there equipment. I have a 87 international for back up. I'm going to sell it to maybe buy a newer international there great trucks.

18. traviswalker007

truck

Yes sir, thats were i got it, city did a good job on it, they spend some money thats for sure. Cant wait to start plowing with it, i have it being repainted this week, really didnt need it but i thought why not before i get my logos on it.