1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow truck

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DUMZ, Dec 18, 2007.

1. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

Well I've been a Chevy truck guy all of my snow plowing life (6 yrs) Just bought my first Dodge to replace the Chevy. Got a 1999 Ram 2500. Solid truck at a good price. It's got a 5 speed manual 5.9L gas. Putting an 8' Hiniker strait blade on it. Just wondering what I should do off the get go that will save me headaches down the road.

Thanks

plow truck.jpg

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You opened yourself up with this one!

Advise? Get a different plow!

3. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

plow less then one yr old, bought from local dealer, and so far it's worked out great. I wish I would have got a V but for the price difference I think I will put wings on it.

4. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

I was thinking more about putting Timbrens in or not, HD fan clutch, or any other additional items to put into the truck to make it better.

Your right I sure did open my self up :nono:

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Put an automatic in it.....

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I doubt the 2500 will squat too much, but from what I hear the timbrens do a good job. Having the right ballast in back should help to balance things out, so maybe give that a shot before modifying anything. I can't get over how much difference I have now with a yard of sand -- it's like night & day.

7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Whats wrong with that plow?

8. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I added a 2" steel leveling kit on the front end; it made an incredible differance in clearence when the plows mounted. I think it took all of 2 hours and that included installing a set of new shocks. My truck and I are glad I added the leveling kit, I don't seem to bottom out like I first did prior to that addition.:bluebounc

9. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

I added ballast weight to my 90 k1500 this yr and it made a big difference. Although i think i put to much in. Plow weighs about 750lbs or so... go with 350-400lb ballast??

10. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

Worked on it till after nidnight last night but got it all rdy for snow removal. Talking 4-9" this weekend.

IM000006.jpg

11. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Oil the body, once it's gone it's really not worth fixing.

12. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

Here she is in action... not a good picture but will see about another one today... We got 14" wind blew up some really nice drifts...

IM000007.jpg