1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow truck..what should i check

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by born2farm, May 26, 2009.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ok. I recently picked up a 1993 Ford F350 4x4 with a 7.3L Diesel and a manual tranny. The truck had a 9.2 boss v plow on it and has had a plow for a good portion of its life. The truck was well maintained but has a lot of rust due to having a bed salter for its whole life. What are some thing I should check for and replace?

Two more questions. My steering has a little play in it and the drivers side wheel seems to be at a little tilt. Could this be the ball joints going out?

The truck starts hard even when it warm. I put a new fuel filter on it because it was running sluggish and that helped that but now im thinking either I got air in the lines or the pump needs replaced?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Engine, Transmission, U-Joints & Ball Joints. Rusted lines (ie: brake, fuel etc).

Others can probably be more help with the hard-starting and leaning wheel questions.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The starting problems may be glow plugs / relay or timer.
    Try : http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/ You may have to become a member to get an answer. The 7.3 is a very good engine that will go for a huge amount of miles and time.

Most of the time with FORDS the steering play is ball joints, tie rods, Pittman arm or slop in the steering box. Plowing snow takes it's toll on these parts. The average FORD plow truck goes about 30K between major front end parts replacement. The lean could be a broken spring or mount too.

Change all the fluids and grease all that calls for it too. So you know it has been done.
  4. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've seen that lean on the front of these trucks before and have found it to be a cracked front axle right by the pumpkin. Take a look. It's also just Ford nature with the TTB suspenion for them to squat and change the camber.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I thought all F350s are solid axle.