1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow Suggestions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hiniker1988, Dec 24, 2014.

1. hiniker1988

hiniker1988 Junior Member

I am looking at purchasing a new 3/4 ton pickup to replace my daily driver 1/2 ton. I would also like to get rid of my plow truck and put a plow on my new 3/4 ton. So the question is what plow should I get? I will be purchasing a home in the country soon so it will be used for my personal driveway/yard. Plus I also have a couple of commercial accounts. I also currently push for another guy as an employee but will probably sub for him with my truck and plow next year if I end up purchasing this truck and plow.

Would like suggestions on what plow to purchase. Looking at a Western Wide-out.
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You'll need a 966 loader with at minimum 16' pusher to get that job done :D:laughing::jester:
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You need to use quickmatch at the western site. It will ask your truck model, year, eng, GVWs etc and tell you all the plows it supports and give you part numbers.
  4. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

How big is your driveway at home? And can you plow it a few times during a storm or have to leave it until you completely done with all your commercial work? If you have to leave it alone for the duration of the storm maybe look at a V plow.

The wideout is an awesome plow but if you don't do enough work that pricetag will sting. A v plow will get you more versatility over a straight blade but not burn your wallet as bad as a Wideout will.
  5. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

first you wanna find what dealers are around you and figure out which have the best services such as during a storm will they be open all night and day for breakdowns. Then once you know what brand you want, youll want to search their products and find out which plow would fit you best for what you are plowing.
  6. Kuttingedge

Kuttingedge Junior Member

You got any arctic dealers in your area? I've been real happy with them.
  7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I live out in the country but plow in the Twin city metro area. I have a wideout and love it. However if I did country driveways I would get an mvp 3. I really haven't had issues plowing my driveway yet but busting it open is a little work after it is wind blown shut for a day or two.

Either you figure what plow you want then get a truck to handle it. Or buy a truck then see what plows will go on it and choose from that lust.

One other thing to think about is what your boss will pay you with your new rig. Will he pay you more if you get a V or an expandable.
  8. hiniker1988

hiniker1988 Junior Member

Thanks for the in put. We have a great western dealer as well as a good blizzard dealer in town so I would be covered either way.

For the ones who have been suggesting a V. My only concern with the V is the wear on the cutting edge when I am pushing a lot of commercial? for those of you who run v's do you find wearing fast on cutting edge or not bad?

I was also looking at a power wing blizzard.
  9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If you plowing for your self a 9.6V w/wings You going be a sub a 7.6 straight plow.

Wear on a V is actually better then a straight plow. That I have seen
    In scoop there is less pressure on the edges .
    I wont buy another straight blade for a truck I still have one and when that truck gets replace be with a V plow.
    But OEM edges do wear fast But if you prep them with extra wear plates they will last longer