1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow shopping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fdsr, Aug 14, 2003.

1. fdsr

fdsr Junior Member

Looking to purchase my first plow for 2003 Chevy 2500hd ext cab.
    Looking between Boss and Western. 7.5 to 8 foot staight blade.
    I will be doing residential driveways and I have 1 commercial account set up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I would say definitely the 8' plow, 7.5' would be a little small if its a long bed extended cab model. If its a short bed, you might be able to use the 7.5', but either way, Id go with the 8' on that truck, the HD model can handle it Im sure. I use a Western Uni Mount on my Chevy and love it, I cant comment on the Boss plows, never used one and dont know anyone around with one. What motor and trans combo you have in there? If its a diesel, you may wanna add a set of Timbrens to the frontend to help with the weight of the plow. Actually, even if its a gas truck, the Timbrens would be a help, its just that the diesel motor is alot more weight on the frontend. Hope I helped some. Got any pictures of the new truck? We love pictures here, haha. By the way, good luck with the new truck and welcome to PlowSite! :waving: Mike

3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Welcome to Plowsite. Both Western and Boss put out very high quality products. Id go 8' for sure. The one thing you will realize is that if you look seriously into Boss plows you have the option of a full trip or trip edge straight blade. Western only builds full trip blades. So hit up the search button and decide what type of trip system will suit you best. GOOD LUCK

Jay

4. fdsr

fdsr Junior Member

Thanks guys. I have the 6 liter engine in the truck, no diesel.
    I do not have the snow plow prep package but I do have the trailering package with a 6 foot bed. I will go with the 8 foot blade and I want the full trip . So I will have to see who gives the best deal and service. Thanks again.

5. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Better check with the dealer before you put a plow on it so your warranty won't void. If you can put a plow on it go with the 8 footer. As for brand both are very reliable units I have a Western and know a few with Boss plows so the decision it up to you, just make sure you have good dealer support for the unexpected breakdown. Good luck on purchasing and keep us posted.

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

FD...
    Welcome to PS !

No plow prep pk. huh ? SURE? Check the RPO codes on the
    sticker in your glove box...look for VYU code thats plow prep.

Dealers are picky nowadays about plow related breakage
    and warranty...talk to them.
    Thats why I had to go to a 2500 this time ! Because plow prep
    is not avail. on 1/2 ton x-cabs.

A western is a great plow IMO.......Lighter and cheaper than a
    Fisher too!

Heck I was just in Philly/Collingswood/AC and waved bye-bye to
    my money!.....LOL
    I have family there..............

Hey...Don't forget the Snowplow BBQ Oct.18th in Poughkeepsie NY. Ya get to meet all these crazy folks here in person !
    ................geo

Check out this link on GM plow installation and print it out to
    have and hold !
    https://www.gmupfitter.com/secure/html/publicat/bull/bull27.pdf

Last edited: Aug 15, 2003
  7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Great info Geo

That will settle many questions . See you at the Edmunds Cadillac Forum

8. fdsr

fdsr Junior Member

I looked up my gvwr and it is 9200. The front is 4670 and rear 6084. The glove box shows codes for everything but the code you gave for snow plow prep. I do have the heavy trailering package. It seems the only two things I am missing from the snow prep is the wiring for a roof mounted light and the in dash module for I guess the wiring for joystick. I think I will be fine.
    Thanks for the info, all is helpfull.

9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

Go with the 8ft Western or Boss. I hear that both plows are very strong and reliable. Make sure to add a set of timbrens to your truck they help a lot. Make sure the dealer gives good support. Good luck with your plow! :)

10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

fdsr - welcome to Plowsite. :)

I agree with other, go with the 8 foot plow, don't look at anything smaller than that. You will regret it when you see your rear tires riding over unplowed snow when making turn, creating hardpack and reduced traction. As for Western and Boss, I cannot comment on them because I only have experienced Fisher plow. But from what most people have been saying, Western and Boss are good plows. Go with either of your local dealers have with good support.

I agree with Mike, you should try to put on a set of Timbren in front. Just drop off a message to our friend John (AOL IM: Garagekeeper49) and he will be more than glad to assistant you with your needs.

The snowplow prep package will add several things to your truck. Since it already have heavy duty trailer package, a transmission cooler is already added. The snowplow prep. will add skid plates under the truck, heavy duty 130 amps alternator, a wiring right next to the trailer plug harness for auxiliary backup lamps, wiring and switch for roof lights, large 1.5" or a bit larger hole pre-drilled in the firewall for routing wires, heavy torsion bars, increased front end capacity. That's all that I could think of.

Good luck with your truck & plow. If you have digital camera or scanner, be sure to post some pics. We love to see pictures!! :D :cool: