1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow shipping costs?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Have any of you purchased one and had it shipped? Assuming it is not directly shipped from Boss in Michigan, i got a price from the dealer in MD to NJ, $400 for a V XT shipping on a pallet freight, i have to unload it with pallet forks here when its delivered :/ Sounded like a lot since i was quoted $350ish last year for two skids, one plow and one salt spreader...

But when i picked my last v XT plow up last year, i actually got 3 skids, plow, mounts/wire harness/plow frame parts and then the spreader..

I know fuel was a lot more, is just freight shipping still high now? Its about a 200mile or less shipment.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If that's the price then that's the price, who cares? Ship it or go pick it up.
  3. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

They do look nice when they have a semi load of them sitting waiting to go out from Boss. Most of them I see leaving Boss are bulk loads a trailer full at a time. That does seem kinda high if it's not from Boss directly.
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Thats about right when shipping LTL. Like JD said, ship it or pick it up.
  5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

When I was making the deal on the purchase of a 9/2 vtx, my dealer only had about 3 or 4 left and told me that if he sold out, there would be a surcharge of $700 on a special order to only cover freight charges.
    When they failed to deliver on the delivery date as agreed...long story short, I told them to load up all the pieces on my truck, so that I could assemble it myself. Assembly was easy, and I will have to consider having the next one drop shipped to me on the next one. I may not have the buying power that they do, but it wouldn't phase me to do it again.
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah thats all fine, except if your spending 5k on a plow, you either spend $5400 w/shipping or $5225 @4.5 sales tax and $100+ for fuel/tolls to drive there all day and back to NJ.

As discussed into another thread, i bought a 8'2" v xt from them last december, had a total online "ebay" sale actually and then they charged me sales tax for 8k worth of equipment once i showed up to pick up everything, "fully unsassembled" i mean, V plow bolted to frames on skids, it took me hours just to prep the plow before i touched the truck for the harness, bumper, mounts etc.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm a freight broker - I arrange transport like this all the time. My advice - take the $400 and count yourself fortunate. Too many factors involved which I don't want to go into but fuel cost is not the only thing to consider.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hours to prep the plow, we just did a 9'2 install and it was pretty striaght forward install and putting the blade together took 2 hours.. All you have done is moan and complain about the price of things in threads for weeks, buy the damn plow and stop complaing.
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why would you pay sales tax on 8k?:dizzy:
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hmmm thought it was just me JD. ;)
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Buddy get some sleep and a little less coffee, atleast your making me laugh.
  12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Hours to prep the plow? What prep? What I didn't mention was that the dealer implied to me that they were giving me a "special price", only because my friend who brought me in had built them one hell of a nice building. After consulting w/ the good folks on here like B&B and a few others I leaned that the price quoted was about average. Also, I was not too impressed w/ the mechanic who tried to talk me out of the 9/2 for my 1 ton diesel. He even gave me some slack when they were loading my truck w/ all the parts, after he failed to assemble in the time frame agreed upon. The owner told me the plow would be ready on a Thursday or that Friday...It wasn't. They got a call from me first thing that following Monday, the owner handed the phone off to a salesman, who again promised that it would be ready by the end of the day, it wasn't. I made a surprise drop by about 3:30 PM (they close at 5) it wasn't even started. The owners wife (first conversation w/ her) decided to start yelling at me and pulled out the schedule to show me in a lobby full of customers, that it was scheduled for that following Friday...her mistake, she made a scene.

Assembly, as I said before was really no big deal. There were three of us to unload, one grabbed the directions and threw us the tools as needed. The other 2 just assembled and we were done in about 1.5 hrs. The wiring was already on the truck along w/ the undercarriage...we spent more time looking for a broken wire. I used the plow that night, as we got hit w/ an early one...a bit unusual.

The sales tax here is 7%. I still have to do the math and find out if it's even possible to buy direct. Michigan is right next door and I've made the trip to Detroit many times. I've also for years been playing w/ the idea of starting a 24 hr repair facility, which would probably evolve to selling product and equipment. Bankers hours simply don't work in this business and the need for good reliable service is overwhelming. IMO, the dealers around here have just had it too good for too long. I can think of only one business about 15 miles from me that even stays open when it's snowing...I've had to use it a couple of times in past years...and you know where you've been after you have left...ouch! Oh yea, they work out of a single door garage, where you have to fold in the mirrors when you pull in and have 2-3 mechanics. Not fancy, but I know they could show my dealer a thing or 2 about getting things done and making money. Their also very arrogant...I guess they can be when there is no one else at 3:00 AM on a Saturday morning.