1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow rig - which ATF and light Q

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Jan 27, 2009.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Well, I sold my first ever plow truck ('95 C3500 dually w/ Meyer's 7.5') as based on what I learned here and my experience, it wasn't the right truck for me since it was 2wd and the blade was too small for the dually rear. Fast forward, I just picked up a cheap 88 2500 w/ a Fisher 8' plow, speed caster mount i think its called.
    1) It drops slowly, and I was told it needed a fluid change. What type of fluid should I use? It says ATF on the pump, but is that Dexron, Mercon, ATF+?
    2) How would I go about wiring up the headlights? The plow works, but the lights don't. There is a bundle of wires laying on the a-frame, i'm assuming some of those should have gone to the lights (i'll have to take a pic). I poked around the Fisher site but I'm a little bit on info overload.

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Take some pics for us.

Is there a switch in the cab for the headlights, any type of harness under the hood for the lights??

Oh yeah, Mercron/Dexron II is fine.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Hi Crash,
    The truck is still at my brother's house. I plan to drive it home this weekend, so I'll get some pics then.

You say Mercon/Dexron II is fine, but they aren't they separate choices at the store? Also, should I use synthetic or no? Minimum temp is around -5 degrees.

I don't remember if it had a switch in the cab for the lights, but I know it had a joystick like this one to move the plow...

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jeff

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. Crash935

The Speedcaster mount left the headlights and pump on the truck, the MinuteMount leaves the headlights and pump with the plow.

Guess we need to know what pump you have before we tell you what fluid. The Speedcater had 3 different pumps, the first was a belt driven pump, second was a electric/hydraulic that was mounted under the hood, third was a elec/hyd mounted on the front of the mount.

As for wiring the lights, need to know if you have anything to work with or if you should just start over.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

It is a speedcaster setup. The pump is elec/hyd on the mount. I'll get back about the lights/wiring, I'm assuming I'm going to need to start over...

6. Crash935

I was thinking that you probably had the belt pump or pump mounted under the hood but since its a SHEP unit i would run the plow fluid in it.

7. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Hello all,
    Finally got the truck home. On the way home the oil pressure went to zero :eek: The oil was full and there was no knock/noise, so I kept driving figuring I wasn't going to do any work to the motor anyway for what I paid for the truck, and it made it the rest of the way (almost 40 miles). So, I'm assuming its a bad gauge but I'm picking up a new sending unit and gauge today to verify.

Anyway, back on topic, I took a look and a few pictures of the situation. See the album here: http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64/jfon101231/new%20truck/ There is no headlight switch in the cab (anymore?). I don't know if the control that I inserted above automatically switches from the truck headlights to the plow headlights when the control unit is powered on?

There is a bunch of wires that appear cut on the bottom of the DS light upright, see the pics. Not sure if these are headlight related, the plow functions w/ them cut so I assume so...There are four (red) wires coming from each of the plow lights through the grill to under the hood. It appears the 2 on each side that go to the signals are still connected as the PS one works. On the DS there is a red wire that goes towards under the radiator, not sure if that was connected to a ground, then there is a red wire that was cut and is not connected. I'm assuming that needs to go to the headlight circuit. I believe the PS is the same, but it was late and now I don't remember. I don't ever intend to take the light/headgear off the truck, so I'm not opposed to permanently modifying the wiring so the regular truck headlights never work again if I can save a few bucks by not buying a harness.

Its supposed to snow all day (4-6"), so I'm looking to fix this tonight and plow before tomorrow morning if possible. All help welcome! xysport

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  8. Crash935

The controller has no effect on switching the lights. The wires hanging down are for the headlights, black is low, white is high, brown is marker, orange is ground. Follow the harness back into the truck and somewhere behind or near the drivers side headlight you should find some relays or wires that should have relays.

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Hi Crash,
    Thanks for the color coding. I assume you mean follow the plow wire harness back into the truck and look for the headlight relays. Will do, I know there are some relays on the firewall but not sure what they are for. Once I find the headlight relays, then I just connect them to these black/white wires? Do I need to do anything with 4 red wires from the plow light on either side? It seems they are connected to the parking lights at least since it looks like the brown wires are cut but they (well just the PS) still light up.

10. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

One other quick question. The plow raises and angles fine, but drops slowly. I know there is an adjustment on the pump for this, but before I mess with it I figure I should change the fluid to make sure that is right. Should I just drain/refill the reservoir, or should I try to do the angle pistons too? If the angle pistons too, how do you drain/refill them? I can't find anything in the SEHP owners manual online...

Thanks
    Jeff

11. Crash935

12. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks! I actually found something buried on the Fisher website about how to do it, and it was similar.

Any answer regarding my last questions on the wiring?
    1) What, if anything I need to do with the 4 red wires coming from each plow light to under the hood?
    2) Once I find the headlight relays, do I just splice the power wire w/ the black/white wires?

Thanks for all your help thus far.
    Jeff

13. Crash935

The wires for the turn/marker and headlights are actually supposed to be wired into the 9 pin grill connector that the plow controls run through so its kind of up to you as to what you want to do with them.

"If" you find the relays i would wire them to match the schematics. There should be a harness that runs from dr side headlight to ps side headlight, is that there? This harness will also end right behind the dr side headlight and will plug into the relays.

Im off to work now so it will be later tonight or tomorrow before i can get you any more answers.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009