1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow rig...02 libby with 4.7v8!

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by JeepCoMJ, Apr 1, 2013.

1. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Couple guys have done a 4.7 swap, but there's still no tech on it since they're all selfish.

I'm about set to start the wiring on the swap, engine is already in.

I'll post pics on that once I'm done.

Anyways, picked up a set of diesel liberty front struts with 19k miles on them to toss in and take up the weight difference.

Today I picked up a 2 year old Meyer DP-68 plow assembly without truck mount or controls/body wiring for $500. As I build pumps, and have built E58's before, I know what they sell for and are worth. this was a steal with the nite sabers etc. it looks brand new.

Ordered the mounts for a liberty already off ebay for $200. can't go wrong with that. need to get a controller and body side wiring, then i'm good to go.

2. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

3. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

can't do much better for $500

4. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

here's the jeep

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

what's up with the larger motor?

IMG_20130118_161624_434.jpg

6. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

lol. i can see that's not even mounted.

I build liberties. Wanted a 4.7 because I've driven WJ's with them and liked the power. it's almost a bolt in swap as well...grand cherokee engine mounts, bolts right to the 45RFE, power steering bolts up, hoses all line up, wiring all connects right up except for having to extend two cylinders worth of wires, and add two in. ECU plugs in, too.

only PITA is that there are no bolt-in exhaust manifolds, so I'll make my own out of stainless.

I need a tow rig, do not like car payments, do not need a 40,000 vehicle, and don't need a 10,000 pile of junk with a ton of miles. the liberty with 4.7 will be rated at 6500lbs towing capacity, get the same gas mileage as a suburban doing it. Pulling a 1200lb featherlite with another liberty or whatever will be just fine on it.

already has a 29 spline 8.25 in the rear, too. perfect for what i need.

7. 1olddogtwo

I must say we are a Ford family but we love the Liberty. Its a 02 with 150k, bought new. Its on its 3rd set of tires and other then the 3 water pumps and regular oil changes, its been problem free.

We good luck with the swap and the plow.

8. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Thanks man! It's good to hear some support.

I personally am not a liberty guy. I'm an XJ/MJ guy who fell into liberties. I like the interior in these liberties and the creature comforts, and i know first hand that they take a roll like a champ.

There are 4 liberties here right now...one we built out of two (the rolled 02 renegade and an 02 limited with a bad motor) and it's on 32" Hankook MT's on it, one I just finished building a new 3.7 for that will get sold, the orange one, and the rolled chassis is still floating around.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

So your going not only put all that extra power through difes and axles that where meant for a 6 cyl but your going to plow and tow with it?

Its amazing what you can brake with a V8

10. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

it's 30 more hp.

my xj had an 8.25 with a bored and stroked 4.0 pushing more power than this v8 has got, never broke. never had an issue witht he d30, either.

If I break the front D30, it will be time to consider something else.

11. theplowmeister

from MA

That is a lot of work for 30 HP..

but its the torque that breaks things

12. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

it's actually not that much work. it bolts to the trans. it bolts into the motor mounts. wiring is the same except a couple connectors are wrong but have the proper pins, and you have to repin the cylinders and add 2 more cylinders of wiring.

cooling pretty similar, just need an aftermarket cooling fan.

13. theplowmeister

from MA

Hope it works good for you, and its a conversation piece.

14. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Amazing how there is never a shortage of "poo-pooers". Go for it dude. Sounds like you have experience in your corner and the ability as well. Post pics too!

15. 1olddogtwo

That's part of the fun.

This negativity coming from a jeep guy is kind of surprising.

16. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

thats cuz a liberty isnt a real jeep ! xysport

17. 1olddogtwo

That's a different debate altogether.....

My point is most users of "real jeeps" do some type of modifying to suit their needs such as the poster who's knocking the OP's project. How many have put 300hp plus in their jeeps for mudding, crawling not what not. Mine jeep(she drove it) was her everyday ride to work and now we just use it to haul the dogs around. It actually tows fairly too.

18. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

It will work out just fine. as stated, the only issue will be how long the front diff holds up before I custom build a IFS d44 to replace it, because God knows I'm not dropping $1500 on a steel dana 30.

19. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Thanks, it's definitely under control. as far aas my skill level, I've built many 4.0's to different standards, and my 86 Comanche is stoicly convinced that it's a 96 camaro with a buick 3800 s2.

I reman Meyer pumps for a living, and do some light residential plowing, so i've got a clue what's going on there too.

here's a link to my liberty build thread that's never ending

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f222/02-liberty-renegade-limited-resurrection-53070/

20. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

meh

nope, it's not.

I don't like the drivetrain options, the IFS, the triangulated 3 link rear.

these things fell into my lap because of my brother's rolled one. But after driving his, I gotta say...they are WAY more comfortable to drive than any cherokee or grand cherokee out there.

and heated leather seats are the ****.