1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow question.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dodge15004x45.9, Aug 22, 2014.

1. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

So I got my new plow installed on my 05 cummins and the question is why did they have to take off my tow hooks on the front? I get taking the air damn off but why the tow hooks? Can I put them back on?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

No. I asked the same question when mine was installed. They gave me a legitimate reason, although I forget what it was now. I believe it had something to do with the structural integrity of the mount being compromised if the hooks were left on.

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Plow mounts use the same holes as the tow hooks

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Tow hooks have no sae bolt rating

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

it's not the hooks or the hardware on the Dodge, it's the backing plates;)

You could bolt your hooks on the bumper for appearance sake but because of interference issues they have to remove the backing plates behind the bumper that attach the hooks to the frame so they have no real structural integrity. A good hard tug will deform your 05 front bumper, yes I'm sure:whistling:

While on Chevy and Ford it's a hardware temper issue, and a lack of proper load spread. Tow hooks are designed for horizontal load, vertical loading is not a design consideration.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

On Dodges the plow mount has to be put in where the tow hook brackets were. You can't have both. You can put them back on when you remove the plow mount so hold on to them. As Basher says above, you could bolt them on to the bumper for appearance sake but if you try to use them they will just rip out without the missing brackets.

Trust me when I suggest that you don't try to put them back on. Dodge diesels are the very worst mounts to do and the hardest bumper to get off and on again. Six layers of metal to line up on each side all while trying to hold the intercooler out of the way!

And a tip while I am on the subject..... check your mount bolts annually. Dodges have the thinnest metal frames of all the plow trucks I have worked on. They frequently tear the frame holes loose so if your plow eventually seems to sag you know why.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  7. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Well that answers my question. Make sense to use holes where ya can. Thank guys. Think I'll just try and sell them.

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck didn't have the plow prep from the factory, either. From my understanding, trucks with plow prep from the factory didn't have tow hooks.

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Your understanding is wrong. Mine has the plow prep package and it did come with tow hooks. I stand corrected, as Basher points out below.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So did my 05 and 11 but there were none on the 14 all w/ snowplow prep.

11. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

I remember that name basher and sons y'all put a snowdogg on my old truck.

12. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

My 2012 Ram came with the Plow Prep package and it deleted the tow hooks. When I talked to my plow dealer he said he didn't know they did that but said they would have to be removed anyway for the same reasons stated earlier, the backing plates are removed for the mount. So in the long run it saved them a step, would have been nice for me to have them though, probably could have sold them on eBay :).