1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow purchase

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bobshm, Oct 11, 2004.

1. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

Hi- I'm a new reader and have really found this forum to be helpful. I need to purchase a new plow this month, and here's where I'm at:

1. I've always had Fisher. Our new local dealer is 1 mile from my shop, but has the we're too busy to service you attitude. I've always had Fisher , and only had a couple of problems, which the old dealer serviced at 4 and 5 AM during a storm. However, he is now a Boss dealer...
    2. I like the BOSS dealer. He gave me great service, which helped offset the fact that he was 40 minutes from my shop. However, I went to look at a......
    3. Blizzard 810 plow. To me, it looks like the next big leap in productivity. I thought that it looked extremely well built. The dealer was enthusiastic, but pretty hokey. He has sold Blizzard for three years and knows the upgrades, etc. He is 25 minutes from my shop, so I was thinking of buying a bunch of spare parts from him to keep on hand. I really like the plow, and can picture the productivity increase. I've had Turk-Key wings (super idea), V-plows, box plows. All had strengths and weaknesses. I only do commercial. Here's the rub for me: I went through this same thought process last year over a commercial mower. Great brand, well built, crappy dealers. I bought it, from a dealer one hour from my shop. I bought spare parts. It ended up having a fluke casting issue that sidelined the mower for the first half of the season. Dealer support has been non-existent. Now that the bugs are worked out it's a good machine with great engineering, but I can't go through the same experience with a snowplow. But I am tired of pushing Fisher yellow, and chasing crumbs at clean up. Thoughts, opinions, ideas ? :rolleyes:

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You will never regret buying the Blizzard 810. What size is your truck?

3. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

silverado 2500HD w/Duramax-Allison-locking diff

4. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Bobshm

Your Fisher dealer sounds like a local one I know. What part of the Northeast are you in? If you can make the trip to Portsmouth Ford they have the Blizzard 810 installed for 3,995.00. And the regular 8 Footer is 2,995.00. These were the best prices I found anywhere near the seacoast of NH. The price is valid even if you don't buy a truck there which is nice. Good Luck :)

5. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

I'm in Concord. The Fisher dealer has a great, friendly rental department with Tom. And the service guys are friendly too. It's the front of the building that blows you off. $4000 was the price for the 810 in Manchester. BOSS is $3850, $4000 for Fisher.

6. Bolts Indus.

Those are good prices. They must be having a war there. Glad I'm not selling there.

7. maurader

maurader Member

That is a great price that they are charging in NH. Around here they want $4700 to $5000 for an 810. On top of that there is no sales tax in NH. It would be worth the seven hour drive for me to save $1000.

8. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Yeah it is a good price, plus, Portsmouth Ford sells so many the guy says, that they have 2 guys working now until Jan-Feb who do nothing but plows. He said it is a 3 hour wait tops, and he only needs a days notice. BTW, the prices were installed prices.

9. Bolts Indus.

3 hour wait? Installed in 3 hours? Check everything.

10. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I just got an 810 in Toronto last month and it only took them 3 hours to install.

11. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Bolts

Dude, they have 2 guys who won't do anything but install plows for the next 4 months. I am sure they have devised a system to be very efficient and still uphold Portsmouth Ford's reputation. I have never touched a plow before and me and a friend had my used minute mount on and running in 3 hours. He did the wiring and I put the mounts on. Tag Team.

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i would say go with the blizzard 810. i paid 4300.+ install. i could have gotten cheaper it seems but my dealer is 25 minutes from my house. plus open during a storm.

13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Ian03
    Do you know how much portsmouth ford would charge for a 680 or 720?
    Thanks

14. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Cja1987

Sorry man I don't. I was about to buy an F350 with the 8 Footer on it and I wasn't interested really in the Fisher. Did you ever call The guy about the 6.5 footer? He still has it if you are interested, I pass it every night on the way home.

15. Bolts Indus.

My name is not DUDE.

16. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if you buy your plow locally your dealer will remember that at 3 am when you have problems. they will also remember you bought the plow somewhere else to save money but now need them to work on it. just remember that.
    the closest blizzard dealer to me is 45 minutes away in good weather so i went with a boss.

17. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Bolts

No offense intended, it's what I call all my friends in conversation.

18. Bolts Indus.

Apology accepted. Thank You.