1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow puking fluid?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JimRoss, Jan 25, 2011.

1. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I know if you let gravity lower the plow tower ( while taking it off ), that can cause the overfill cap to puke fluid. What happens if your plow is in float mode and the snow bank lifts the blade way up? Wont the fluid puke from that as well ( in both instances, your in float mode )?

I'm asking because I just noticed trans fluid on the ground after cleaning up my driveway. I had pushed the tops of a couple banks back, to give more room. I seen some fluid right about where the plow motor would have been ( inside a triangle mark in the snow ). I'm too tired and cold to investigate at the moment. I'll double check tomorrow, but wondering if this is the cause before I tear into it.

2. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

When my Boss was new it puked fluid on a few occasions until all the air found its way out of the system.
    But I'm sure some more educated people will chime in and let you know what to look for if its not just air in the system.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Stacking aggressively and/or a slightly overfull condition can cause fluid to push out the internal breather until it finds it's "sweet spot". However I would definitely look it over to be sure it doesn't have a leak somewhere else just for good measure.

Otherwise it was just a little overfull.

4. Ewsa

Ewsa Junior Member
    from CT

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Saw fluid leaking, added more, that all leaked out. Looked at the pump and tank and it was all leaking out of the breather

5. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

check all the hoses I had the same problem a few days ago. And it being knew may still have air the lines.

6. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Thanx....

I wish BOSS would make their plow fluid blue, green, anything but red. That would make it easier to distinguish between your trans leaking or the plow leaking. I was freaking out at first, thought it was my trans, until I seen the fluid up on the bank.

7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

That will happen with a chevy I wouldnt be so sure it is your plow. :)

8. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I had the overfill spilliage leak, went away on its own. (Replaced power unit did not have the side checker so I natually overfilled it.)

One thing to check also on 7.5STD and possibly others is the one hose rubs the kick stand every time you raise and lower the polw- at least mine does the way the hose is. I noticed a flat waer spot ~5mil gone. I put foam pipe insulation around it and wrapped it in duct tape-although if I did it again I would use the black all-weather duct tape. Now I usually just remove the kickstand since the old one doens't work that well as a plow shoe anyway -mangled ~$36 ouch.

9. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I found after I service mine I cycle the plow., top off the fluid and then turn the filler neck down and let the extra drain out. I find it hard to get the right amount with there filler tube design.

10. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Mine was doing the same thing, I think once it spilled out the breather it layed in the bottom of the covered area and it decided to really push out when i tripped it hard.