1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow paint rubs picky or not?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hosenfeffer, Sep 30, 2010.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Just picked up new plow and have two or three areas where paint rubbed of in what looks to be from abrasion in crate. Two of them are 2-3 inches by 1/4 inch one a bit smaller. Am I being overly concerned or anally retentive?
    . My thinking was it is a powder coat finish and pretty durable to most damage and most of my work is paved areas. While not usually a fanatic on finish do tend to keep them clean anyway.
    So. don't bother, free paint. discount or new plow?
    TIA marty
  2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

If it was minor i wouldn't mess with it but from the sounds of what you have i would want to swap out or a discount, those areas already need to be touched up to prevent it from rusting.. I alway's like to be the first one to damage anything new and if i buy it that way the price will reflect it.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Talk to the dealer
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Seems typical... Every new plow I've purchased has had some marks on it from shipping. When I bought a new western Pro Plus about 5 years ago, there was a large ares rubbed on the back of the moldboard. When I complained, the dealer showed me 10 more plows, all with the same marks. :dizzy: Swapping it wouldn't have made sense, so he gave me a can of red touch-up paint...

My suggestion would be to see if you can get the dealer to touch them up, or give you a can of the appropriate color paint. Otherwise, you can usually get close enough with rustoleum. Regardless, touch it up, as that will be the first place it rusts.
  5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with wizard. However, with the price of plows these days, ask the dealer if they'd be kind enough to touch it up with fisher touch up. Fisher makes a paint strictly for this. Be kind, say please. A lot of people would be surprised at how far it'll go to not be an a**hole to the people who make our businesses possible.