1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow owner, moderate experience

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TacticalMustard, Oct 14, 2011.

1. TacticalMustard

TacticalMustard Junior Member
    from RI

I've plowed some in the past. Nothing crazy. Just driveways of friends/family/neighbors for 10 years or so and a small parking lot the last few. Except for my snow blower I've always used their equipment, mostly 1/2 ton pickups, one 3/4 ton with 6', usually 7' to 8' plows, got to try a big v-plow once on that 3/4 ton I mentioned. It was awesome to say the least. I liked that you could make it straight and it acts like a box with the way the ends were.. I have also used ATV's, snow blowers, lawn tractors quite a bit. I have live in southern New England for 25+ years. This area usually gets 30-80", always seems like in 8" storms when it sticks.

I just got a 6'6" Meyer plow (killer deal, nothing wrong with it! almost 0 rust, looks only used a couple seasons for a single driveway). I was considering buying or fabbing up some wings to extend it a little. Is this a good move? This is going on a 5.9L(gas) Dodge ram 1500 extended cab. I forgot the model Meyer it is, Its at my shop right now, but it has 3 springs on the back near the center... . Think it might be a meyer ST, but The plow was not as large as whats listed on the meyer site. Anyways...

I plan on doing residential driveways since this is my first year doing this for myself and for real money, I think a little extra width would help. I have a few driveways lined up now. They are almost all 1 1/2 and double width driveways that will take 2-3 pushes off to the side, or across the street. I would assume I could cut that down to 1-2 pushes respectively with a wider plow. If it helps, these driveways are only a hundred feet long at most, and the double wide ones are roughly 14' x 30' rectangles (one is nice flat concrete) up against a garage/house. EASY stuff with even with my small snow blower or borrowing a neighbors quad, IMO.

I really have no idea what I am looking at for wings to widen the plow. Any input would be appreciated. I started looking but the number of products for different plows is confusing me and I'm not sure I'm finding what i am looking for. Searching brings up so many topics its hard to find what I'm looking for. Would I be better to try sell/trade with cash this plow for a larger one? Is my plow too small and are wings stupid for it? If I fab some up I'm not sure how robust I should make them. It seems like it might be handy to have ones that are detachable. I thought about getting through this season and seeing how well it will work, and what I should have (if the 6'6" is too small), but this is something I can get done now while its not snowing out.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. Kwing1120

Kwing1120 Member

I would think the 6'6" is too small. your tires will still be in the snow. my GMC 1500 has 7'6" on it.

3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ya, I would say a 6'6" will not cover the width of your vehicle when at full angle. 7'6" would be more appropriate for full size truck. The most affordable wings to add would probably be the Buyer's Pro Wings which might get you enough width to get by. I've never used them but many like them on this site.
    http://www.centralparts.com/ProductDetails3891.aspx

4. TacticalMustard

TacticalMustard Junior Member
    from RI

Any way I can edit my first post to change the thread title to something to include wings? I don't see an option.

Snowzilla, thanks, I'll check them out. It was one of the wings I found that seemed to be what I was looking for.

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I don't think this site allows you to change the title of your thread once started. I think you can email the site administrator and they have the power to do so..

Also, the Buyer's Pro Wings require you to drill a pretty big hole in your mold board as part of the install.

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

For the price, the buyers wings are awesome. They will add 20 inches to the width of your plow.