1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow, or Used Plow Truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JAckleyBR, Nov 26, 2008.

1. JAckleyBR

JAckleyBR Junior Member
    from CT

This is going to be my first plow season. I have a few driveways and small parking lot lined up already. My question is..should I buy a plow for my 08 silverado 1500, or just buy and old heavier duty work truck with a plow on it. My main concern is doing damage to the front end of my brand new silverado. Chances are I could find and old plow truck for less then the cost of a plow for my chevy, but I'd like to be driving my brand new truck around.
    Thanks.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

So a $5,000 used plow truck is going to be reliable enough that you wont piss of your new, just starting out customers?

Most of the people hear will say your front end is not going to last plowing with a 1500.
    you dont have enough work (Just yet) to wear out the front end of you truck. even when you do have enough work just consider front end work like gas. something you do every other year or so. $5000 buys a lot of front end work.

3. JAckleyBR

JAckleyBR Junior Member
    from CT

so I guess I should start looking for a used plow truck?

4. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

well first thing you have to do is figure out how much expected income your going to have from these propertys, then take out insurance and breakdown money. and what ever your left with multiply by 2 and thats what you can spend. at least that what i do, i generally expense my trucks out over 2 years time, i normally pay for them in one but its nice to have the cusion. i would say 5-7k could buy you a fair mid 90's 3/4 truck with a decent blade, as far as the half ton plowing. alot of people do it but they also break down more then a 3/4 or 1 ton, especially if you have lots and you are pickin up speed when plowing. i only run 1 half ton and its for residential driveways thats it. the rest are all 3/4 ton chevys with v blades. i would say get a used truck with a blade just so that your not going to wreck the new half ton.. im sure you spend a good amount of money on it and i dont think you want to see it broken.

5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i plowed 4 years with a F-150 ... after adding up all my repair costs ( 12,000 in 4 years ) and the cost of the truck i could have paid for a new F-250. if i were in your situation i would trade in the 1500 for a demo F250/ 2500hd. sure it's going to cost more but in the end you will save a lot of money.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008