1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow or transfer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NoFearDeere, Dec 25, 2005.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I am going crazy trying to figure out what to do. I have my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with a BOSS 7'6" plow that is about 1.5 years old. I still owe about $2000 on the plow loan. I am going to replace the truck with a 2002-2004 Ford F-250 or F-350 Diesel SRW. I cant decide which to do:
    1) Pay $1000 to switch plow and pay $600 for new BOSS wings...total $1600
    2) Just pay off the loan and get a new BOSS 8'2" V-plow for about $4500.

Let me know what you all think, I cant make up my mind what is the better decision.:confused: :confused:

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I say transfer. Then keep the $1500 to $2000 in the bank. Besides, ANY used vehicle will need some kinda repairs or upgrades to your liking.

Just my .02

Bob

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say it depends on what you could get on trade or from selling the old plow outright~

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

WOW! thats a lot of $$$ just to switch a plow over. I believe there is only a frame to remount for the new truck right? We mounted a new Boss at work onto a new truck and it was nothing worth $1,000. My nieghbor sold his truck (GMC 3/4 ton with a Western) and now he has a Dodge 3/4 ton and he wants a new plow so he called around for pricing and there was only $300-$500 difference in prices if they installed it or he took it out the door and installed it himself. I would keep the old plow and get the wings, bank the rest of the money,JMO.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Buy a new plow, and sell the old one.
    Better yet use the plow to increase the value of your Dodge, by selling it with the plow mounted. This is the right time of year for doing that. Between the extra $ you make selling the old truck and the 1600 you saved on the swap, you should have enough to buy a new plow.
    Depending on which mount you have, the wiring differences between the 2 trucks and refreshing the 12v motor solenoid, and power and ground cables (cheap to do when installing the mount) 1600 may not be that unreasonable.

6. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

go with the V plow

7. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Last year I transfered a plow...it cost $200.

You must be buying different wiring or push plates. If not, find someone else.

The other poster hit it on the head---your new truck will need some stuff--if you don'y have extra cash, transfer the plow.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your old plow is too small for your new truck. at 7.5 That small plow would be a waist of new F250, it is a bigger truck.
    You will be happer with the new Boss V plow Too, and you can put the wings on it also..

9. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

Can the diesel and you will have plenty of money. They are becoming less popular. Its a fad right now to have one, it will pass.

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

$1600 includes everything needed to re-mount the plow on a Ford.....mounting bracket, wiring, etc. and the labor to remove the plow from the Dodge and install on the Ford.:)

11. zsqure

zsqure Junior Member

What are your accounts like? Can they be done with wings on an 8" straight blade? While the v plow is a good plow, is it right for the type of plowing you do. I have 2 Boss plows, an 8" straight and an 8'2" vee I'm not sold on them as far as being the ultimate plow. Don't get me wrong, I think they are "bulletproof" a highly reliable attachment for snow removal but I do have a blizzard 810 also. First determine which plow configuration will fit your application, at 4500 dollars you are getting close to blizzard 810 territory, don't rule them out as an alternative. I know if I had a 7.5' plow a 10 footer would let me get a lot more done in a lot less time. Once you have the right plow for your type of plowing then you can go on from there. What to do, sell the dodge with the plow, get out from under it. Buy a new plow for your next truck. You should have no trouble selling a Boss plow.