1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow or Old Plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Arloslawn, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

Hey guys,

Here's my issue. I have an old 1990 2500 with an old cable style western 7.5 plow. I just bought the truck and already spent 700 on fixing part of the plow which angles only to get it back and now it wont lift nor lower. So, my local western dealer is trying to fix it for like 40.00. So, if that doesn't work they can replace the pump for 900.00 more. Is it worth it since the motor is new, the angeling part is new, and now the pump os new?

Or should I have them install a salt dogg plow for 4,000.00 and bite the bullet. So far I made little over 2,000.00 in december and it didnt snow much. I just am sick of investing.

What do you guys think.
  2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I would replace the pump if that will fix the problem. Later on if you have a good year and still want the new plow, you should be able to sell your old plow and get most of your money back. Plus at the end of the snow season you should be able to get a better deal on the plow you want.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

ebay has good deals on pumps and here also some mebers have deals.

or if you wish bite the bullet and get new with warrenty and dont look back.

then sell your old parts / plow setup and get some money back.
  4. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

I'm so torn lol. It sucks to invest but a new plow would give me piece of mind but also a dent in my pocket.

Thanks for the response
  5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Your old plow should be reliable after you put a new pump on. There is not much else that can go wrong.
  6. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

$900 for a new pump ?? , Is that for just the pump or the whole power unit ?

If that is for just the pump , shoot me an e-mail tomsnastyz@yahoo.com, or give me a call 1-570-656-9506 , I'm sure I have a pump that will save you some $$ .

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

x2 on this. For a truck that old, especially one you just bought and don't know how reliable its going to be, I'd stick to the cheapest repair. There are tons of cable op western plow units on ebay all the time in the $100 +shipping range. Keep your old pieces for spares.

Keep the costs down and make as much profit as you can this year. You never know, you may want a different truck or different plow etc by years end so tying up money now is not necessarily the answer.