1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow or Not????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J.Henderson, Oct 8, 2002.

1. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I am about to get my Sno-Way 7 1/2 ' installed on my Dodge 2500. The question is I was wondering if that plow would be to small and light for my truck. It is the HD with 345lb payload, 8800lb gvrw and 14000lb gcwr with the 4.09 axle. I was wondering if I should install it or go with another plow this year. I want to know before I install it and realize I am overpowering the plow. It will cost around 600 for install and mount so I figure I am 1/4 the way to a new plow anyway. I was thinking of a 8' boss or western. Any opinions?

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

One option might be to trade your present moldboard for an 8' or 9'. I traded a 6'8" for an 8' a few years ago, both were used and all I paid was the difference in retail costs between the two. Of course, our dealer is pretty accomodating about such things, but it's worth considering.

3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

If you would have another use for the plow in the future, I'd put a 8.5' Western, straight or V depending upon your budget. Notice I said "I would."

You could make do with the 7.5', but it really isn't ideal. That truck will take a pretty hefty plow if you use load boosters, so weight should not be an issue. That 7.5' plow is perfect for a Dakota, S-10, or Ranger in my mind. If you decide you want to sell it, I could possibly be interested if it could be bought at a bargain price.

Could you make do with a 7.5' plow. Certainly. Is it the ideal, not really. You will have to make the final decision, but you certainly won't "overpower" the plow. At full angle, I am pretty positive that a 7.5' plow will leave you driving in unplowed snow, especially with Ford's turning radius (or lack thereof). I own Fords, but I do know some of their weak and strong points. Good luck and let's hope for a great winter season in Illinois for a change! :drinkup:

Edit: Doh! I just reread your post and see you were asking about putting the plow on a Dodge and not your Ford. Sorry, saw the picture under your name and was thinking Ford.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2002