1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow or Fix the old one?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kah68, Nov 10, 2008.

1. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I have a 93' W 250, actually 2 of them. One has a plow on it but the body is shot, the other has a solid body but no plow. My initial thought was take the plow off the bad truck and put it on the good one. It's an 8' Meyer poly, I would say at least 8-10 years old. Here is the problem, the bottom housing on the plow pump was cracked so I had the pump rebuilt last year with a new lower housing. This year when we pulled it out the new housing was broken at the same bottom location. No I have asked on the Meyer site what the problem could be and there are a few different reasons that make sense, one of them is the plows structure is out of spec, the A frame mount to the harness is spread on one side, the pin holes are worn and there seem to be no stops on the harness to stop the A frame and springs et al from contacting the pump while stacking.

So here is my question, would you buy a new plow for this truck or fix and run the old one? I have 40 driveways to do, anywhere from 15 -25 events per year, a new plow will set me back $ 7500.00 CDN and the old one will probably take $ 1000.00 with welding, painting and another pump rebuild.

Thanks for your help
  2. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I would really think about what the most cost effective decision is. Seems like you have a lot of driveways to do and a lot of events each year. This is going to play havoc on aging equipment. I would really go over the entire setup with a fine toothed comb. See if there are any other parts of your plow that are going to need to be replaced, or that could potentially break in the near future. After you go over everything I would ask yourself if it is reliable, and if it makes sense to keep fixing it.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Maybe find a newer used one instead of new?
  4. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Good idea, however finding a 'newer' used plow for an 'old style' 93' dodge isn't easy.
  5. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

Well, say you found a used Minute Mount setup, all you would have to do is order the attachment kit for your 93 W250 (Fisher #7124) and you'd be in business.

There is always a hand full of Fishers for sale around here. I don't know what your brand preference is, but I'm running a Fisher 8.5 HD on the Dodge I use and I love it. The Fish Stik controls are great too.