1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow opinion?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I need to buy a new plow for a 93 f-250 diesel turbo 4 x 4 i am leaning toward western but i am also condisering blizzard.. I would just like to here some opinions as to what people perfer
  2. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Western Plow

Have a 8'0" Western Poly Pro Plow this year with a Chevy 2500HD. The Blizzards look nice, but I haven't heard much on how dependable they are.
  3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Depends on what your doing, a straight blade works well for drives, and small commercials, but if you want to maximize the amount of money your truck can produce per event then the blizzard is the way to go, the extra initial cost will be soon off set by extra production, and then if you really want to increase the trucks productivity then add a Sidewing.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

my dad had a 88 f-250 which had a 7.5 meyer. It did the job and the truck handled it great. you would want to consider 8ft through 9ft in plow size.
  5. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Blizzard 810 costs more than a straight blade, but if you can afford it, then go Blizzard. Just make sure you have a dealer local to you . That goes for any brand you might purchase. Do a search and read some of the testimonials on Blizzard. It has been proven to be reliable and the best for many people. If you go to blizzards web site and request information, then they will send you a cdrom video that shows the 810 in action. It is awesome and will make you a lot of $$$$$.

I have 2 western straight blade plows and a Blizzard 810. The Westerns are very good plows, and I used to think that they were the best. That was until I found the Blizzard 810 !!!:gunsfiring:
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I would think a 9' plow would be a bit heavy considering the truck is a 250 not a 350 and its a diesel not a gas truck. An 8' plow would be good, with 8.5' being tops. Now as for your question, I have a Western with zero complaints. Great plow. Mike :waving:
  7. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I would say that with timbrens you could go 9 like nothing. If it is a 250 hd then the front gawr should handle a 9' western. My Ford F-250 takes a 8'6" Western plow like nothing. My truck doesn't even hardly feel it. I don't even use the Timbren on that truck, but it does boat a bit when hitting bumps. The Timbren will help solve this problem.
  8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I would think that 9' blade and larger would be an overkill for SRW pickup trucks. I think the only time when it would make sense to get 9' blade is if you have several wide open commercial accounts. Other than that, 8' and 8.5' blade is just about the right size for 3/4 and one ton SRW trucks. Most of us with that type of truck would run 8' straight blade or 8.5' v-plow.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

A 9 ft blade is not overkill for a SRW truck.Once you go big,you'll never go back.

The F250 is a TTB front end.With the diesel,and a plow,you may be asking for trouble.I'd find something lighter,like a Snoway.
  10. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

My 89 dodge w-250 diesel must be different than the ford, because it doesn't even notice the 8'6" western plow up there. The ford doesn't do bad with it either, but my dodge is way stronger than my 2001 ford f-250. I thought it was the 14 year factor, rather than a ford dodge thing. I assumed all older trucks had a better front gawr. All I know for sure, is that my 89 dodge is a beast, and my 2001 ford is kinda weak. I guess I don't really know why, but I have some theories. With that in mind, I was thinking that your older ford might be stronger than the new ones.
    Anyways, sorry to get off topic. I would recommend a blizzard 810. The expandable wings will save you time on the tops of drives where the drive widens for the garage. I agree with Wyldman. Bigger is nice.
    And by the way. If I had one, I would put a 10' blade on my srw dodge and not be too worried.

Most of the guys on here know more than me about this stuff, so this is just my opinion. I do know that the Blizzard 810 is awesome and that Western is also excellent. (The 810 will prob make you more money though)
  11. Scenic Lawnscape

micah79 where did you find you 810 at?? i see your from michigan?
  12. Scenic Lawnscape

also where can i find these timbrens that every one is refering too??
  13. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

well there is a dealer in dearborn heights, but I went to the Blizzard factory in Calumet,MI. Saved a bunch of $$$, but it is a drive. Calumet is up there in the UP.
  14. Santo

Santo Banned

From what Im gathering here, it seems BLIZZARD is your best bet. They dont break , malfunction and you dont need a back-up.I however cannot guarantee that but there are a few here who possibly can.
  15. wxmn6

Not true. In most case, 9' blade will suck when do residential driveways. I just picked up my 8' Fisher last week and it looks quite big to me. I cannot image how it would have look like with 9' on front of my truck.

Like I said, if you have several wide open commercial accounts, 9' may be the best option. I figured that since you do commercial accounts, you probably have forgotten how much of pain it is to plow residential driveways with oversized blade. :D ;)
  16. wyldman

wyldman Member

I find tight stuff easier to do with the bigger blade.You can see more of the blade on either side.
  17. wxmn6

That's why blade guides are invented! J/K :D :drinkup:
  18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Stephen, I have to agree with Wyldman, bigger is better, even for driveways. I use my 810 in the 10' mode almost all night exclusively on driveways. It really speeds things up! There are only a few spots where I have to draw the wings in to fit through.
  19. wyldman

wyldman Member

It all about what your used to and comfortable with.If you've plowed with a 7 ft blade for years,and then get into a bigger truck with a 9 ft,you going to be a little afraid of that huge blade hanging off the front.

Once you've plowed with a big blade,you get used to it,and it's not really a problem.I can actually do a better job around cars and obstacles,as I can get closer to them.This really pays off on a long wheelbase truck (like mine),that doesn't turn well.Sometimes with the longer truck,I just can't get straight into a parking spot sometimes,and have to swing into it on an angle.If I didn't have the big blade,I'd never get close enough to the cars to clean the spot effectively.

Here's a pic that illustrates the point.There is a row of trucks parked just behind me,so I can't get straight into the spot.The extra width of the blade lets me get more snow out of the spot I'm plowing,almost right up to the truck beside me.It takes some finesse,but it fits.

20. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would go as big as possible. Even on our Toyota which is used for small drives we normally run a 7.5 Meyer. When the snow gets heavy we will go with the 7ft Fisher it is setup for becuase the Meyer trips. The 7.5ft blade is nice especially for turning and scraping in front of the garages and off to the side. After backdragging the wide blade lets you move all the snow, getting close to the garage, with no trailoff. Being able to get the blade close to object while the truck stays away is critical in small drive plowing. In larger driveways the bigge size has an obvious speed advantage. I am constantly surprised ho much 6-12 more inches of blade width can change plowing speeds.

This is why I built wings for the 7ft Fisher. It is a much better blade and the wings gave me about 8ft total when open. I am excited to try it this winter.