1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow on an Old Truck pre- 1970

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jk4718, Dec 3, 2010.

1. jk4718

jk4718 Senior Member

I am wondering if anyone has any experience or has seen a new plow put on an old truck. I am looking at mid 50's- late 60's chevy's and fords. We do landscape construction through the year and I think it would be neat to have that retro look. To justify any truck it needs to do snow duty. We typically to 5-15 acre properties for snow and the truck would need a new Meyer or Boss straight blade installed. I know that neither company has subframes for trucks going back that far. Is there a frame style that would be sort of "universal" for this application? the truck I am looking at is a 1964 F350.
    :mechanic:

Truck.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I've always tossed around the idea of using old trucks for my business just because I've always had old cars. I figure for half the price of a new truck, you can buy an older one and rebuild all the major components to a like new condition. Plus it'll get alot more attention. When I've always tossed this idea around I wanted a separate set of trucks for plowing just because I wouldn't want to rust out a classic.

But anyhow. I think you'd just have to either take the main center section of the under carriage to a fabricator and have him rig something up. Even better yet find a plow dealer who has someone on staff that can do that kind of work because they will have a selection of mounts on hand to try out and modify. It'd probably be best to have them do that in the off season though. This time of year they usually just want to push as many out as possible and a project like that would really slow them down.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

that truck is begging for a conventional western mount. i would love to build it for you, but not right now as stated above. find a classic old plow set up and let me know when the time is right. lots of old good stuff still out there. don't buy anything that is in poor shape. look around out in the country.

4. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Howdy Neighbor and welcome to the site.

I know that Western made a universal mount for their HD plows when they had the uni-mount set ups, made for 2 1/2 tons. I don't know why they would not offer it in their ultra-mounts, I have never looked. Something like that would give you a good place to build up from. Your perfered manufacturers might have the same thing.

Watch craigslist for used mounts, waste some of the owner's time and go take some measurements ;) Buy one when you find something close enough.

Heck, measure the width of your frame and throw it out here.

Big block FE?

Chad

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A good welder fabricater can do wonders. The end point you need is the spread of the full size plow horns.You can install the pump and stuff. You just need the plow to connect to the truck side mount. After that it's easy. It would be soo cool to have an early 60's truck plowing snow. With state of the art equipment.