1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow, no low beams

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Oct 23, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Okay, before you all jump on me to get the plow back to the dealer, don't.

I know to take it back to the dealer, but if it's an easy fix, I know how to fix stuff, I just don't have the time to take the plow back to the dealer, nor start diving into it myself.

I've got a failing septic system that I'm trying to completely redo before we get snow and now the grapple bucket on the tractor doesn't want to work for a job that was hot for today.

Anyways, now that's out of the way, before I run to a different dealer to get parts for the tractor, I picked up my truck from the plow dealer yesterday (last night about 10 pm actually) and on the way home, I would switch from high beams to low beams. I could do this 2 times before the low beams would go off.

Each time I did this, the first two times, there would be a 1/2 second delay before the low beams would come back on again. Then the third time, there would be no low beams.

I could turn the lights completely off with the switch in the truck for 2 seconds, turn that switch back on, and I would have low beams. I would always have high and low beams with the truck lights.

Is this an easy fix as in getting a different relay?

2. ram0098

ram0098 Junior Member

I had the same problem and relays fixed it(2007 Dodge Ram) Boss is aware of the problem but some plow dealers neglect to put these relays in to avoid this problem. Hope this helped.

3. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Maybe there's some goofy circuit breaker in there somewhere? They can be slow to reset, I had a car that did that once and a feeble breaker was the culprit. A glance at the fuse box will show if you even have a breaker, they look like a little rectangular box that plugs into a standard spade fuse socket.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I have a similar issue. My high beams are my low beams, and low beams are high beams ONLY when the plow is attached. One would think it was a drunk installer swapping things around.........too bad it just started last year. Plow has been on truck since 03. I'll be interested to see what the issue is with yours. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  5. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

My vote is on a bad relay. They are easy enough to check if you have a volt meter, and if you download the wiring schematic from the Boss plow web site.

6. LwnmwrMan22

Okay, need some help here....

Dealer doesn't know what's going on.

Actually he and I both know what's going on, but he acts like he's not sure how to fix it.

I have lights when I hook up the plow.

If I run the high beams for a while (longer than 3 minutes) when I switch to low beams, there's no lights, even none on the truck if I flip the switch from plow to truck.

I can turn the switch for the headlights off in the truck, leave them off for 5 seconds, and then turn the lights on and we have low beams again.

He says there must be a circuit breaker or something in the Dodge wiring that is tripping, because of overload with running the new lights, but he's not exactly sure where to go.

B&B, you any help with this in a 2007 Dodge 3500?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it an '08-'09 model plow with the new style lights? If so, disconnect the red/white wire of the plow harness at the battery terminal and see if the issue subsides.

8. LwnmwrMan22

Yes, it's a new plow.

I'll give that a try today and get back to you.

Thanks!

9. LwnmwrMan22

I haven't had a chance to hook up the truck to the plow yet, but I did unhook the wire today.

Basically, this is going to disable the dual burn feature, right? Meaning not run the high beams and low beams at the same time?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct....

11. Groundforceone

Groundforceone Junior Member

You should have bought a Hiniker plow...ha ha ha j/k buddy!

12. LwnmwrMan22

Andy -

My cell phone broke and I lost your number, give me a call and leave a message with it again, will ya??

Actually, the cell phone broke, and the replacement they sent me one on Friday, but that one was broke too, that's why I never called you back.

Anyways, give me a call and leave the number, I'll call ya when I get the new one on Monday.

13. Groundforceone

Groundforceone Junior Member

phone issues

You know you could have looked at my last invoice I sent you and got the number off that!

Just giving you a hard time! I'll call your phone and leave a message for you. I thought maybe you were mad at me.

14. nvirish

nvirish Junior Member

LwnmwrMan22 did you ever figure this issue out? I installed a fisher plow and have the exact same symptoms. I spoke with fisher support and they told me the only thing they think it could be is the isolation module. before I go back to the dealer I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.

15. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

You could check vehical option connector on main harness-trying to upload image.:dizzy:

vehicaloption-electrical5001.jpg

16. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

wow guys...this is an old thread.

JKLAWN......He apparently has an ISO setup, your referring to a relay setup.

NVIRISH.....I recommend you start your own thread outlining your exact ISO and your exact setup so others may help you.