1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow, no cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jonnywong, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jonnywong

jonnywong Member

So i just got my 8' HD straight blade back from the local shop here and it has no cutting edge. When i talked to the guy at the shop about it he said fisher recommends running the plow with no cutting edge for the first season. Is this true? it seems like most plows these days usually come with a new cutting edge installed.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not fisher,it's true most guy will wear it down a little before putting one on. But it won't hurt if you put one on right away.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah they recommend a year of using the trip edge only. Then you can spend the additional $100 or so on a new cutting edgee.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i would put one on now depending on how much plowing u do

5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I paid $260 for mine in December.

6. plowguy43

Crazy, what size? I paid just over $100 last season for a top punch 8' for my Xblade (swapped for better scraping)

7. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Mine was a 8'6 HD straight blade, cutting edge came from the fisher dealer. I know there isn't many 8'6 blades as the more common 7'6,8 & 9' plows. Maybe that is why it was expensive.

8. MtnClimber

MtnClimber Member

I'd put a cutting edge now so you don't damage the trip edge. I only paid $115 for an 8' Fisher cutting edge from the dealer 13 months ago (12/11) 1/2"x6"x8'

9. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

My father got a new 8ft HD in the fall and it didn't come with one just the shoes,says he is going to run it this season without shoes,and break in the trip edge and put one on next season.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You will not damage the base angle by running it bare. Just watch the tabs that connect the trip spring to the base angle. When they start wearing on the hot top, it's time for a cutting edge.

Putting a cutting edge on a brand new base angle will actually inhibit scraping performance to a degree. If your edge is twice as thick, your PSI will be half. In addition, wearing the base angle before adding the cutting edge will reduce weight. That Fishuh is heavy enough already.

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You should be a Fisher Rep........Thumbs Up

This is a Man that knows what he is talking aboot...............................:nod:

12. jonnywong

jonnywong Member

this is what i needed to hear, and yes these plow are heavy enough without the cutting edge

13. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The Canada dealers are ripping them off up there. Maybe they're losing it in logistics, who knows. I've shipped to numerous different members on here.

14. Titan Landscape

Titan Landscape Junior Member

Order edges from J. Thomas, they are much cheaper. Like 1/2 that.

15. plowguy43

Crap I couldn't see his location on my phone.

16. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I had the dealer send me one for free with my xls. I said I wanted one after we agreed on a price for just the plow and he said $125 for the 8ft cutting edge. I said free and you get to sell me those 2 plows. He agreed and I through it on right from the start. No problems Ive seen with it scraping.

17. Matson Snow

XLS is a 7'-6" Cutting Edge.....payup

18. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

For you XLS owners, watch that your dealer doesn't try and slip you the 3/8 one, go with the 1/2.

19. Matson Snow

Good point....You go through a 3/8 like a hot knife through Butter....

Good Thing we have a Great dealer in this Area....Joint Clutch and Gear in Romulus Michigan...Top Notch.....I gotta get over there..They have some markers for me...:salute:

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Had a 3/8 on my XV, didn't last long at all. I did get a free half inch after raising hell online....